Build list

happypow3

CarAudio.com Newbie
Im upgrading the new trucks bass sense it’s definitely lacking in that department just to mention the truck is also a crew cab, but ive come to a fork in the road, I was originally thinking 3 JL tw5s on a 2500 amp it would be a sealed under the seat box. As this would be good I’ve been tossing around the idea of just going all out 2 18s and fold the seats up. Wanting to do something along the lines of 2 sundown night shade with a salt 6 or 8 ect. I don’t use the seats much but when I do I’m thank full that I have them. But the main question is would I be getting enough with the JLs I really want those lows and just to be loud but I also really like the space the truck brings. What do you think about it?

3 shallow mount subs vs 2 18" nightshades are very very different.

You have a lot to think about if you are that unsure.

2 18" nightshades on a Salt 8k will rattle your bones. Through and through.
Shallow subs (I'm guessing) will not.

3 shallow mount subs vs 2 18" nightshades are very very different.

You have a lot to think about if you are that unsure.

2 18" nightshades on a Salt 8k will rattle your bones. Through and through.
Shallow subs (I'm guessing) will not.
Yea definitely very different setups, only thing I’m unsure about is giving up all the space :)

How much space do you have? A box for two 18s would be huge unless you're still thinking of doing a sealed box for the 18s in which case I would not use those subs for a sealed setup. Theyre designed for high spl in a ported enclosure. You'll also need some hefty electrical to run a salt 8.

How much space do you have? A box for two 18s would be huge unless you're still thinking of doing a sealed box for the 18s in which case I would not use those subs for a sealed setup. Theyre designed for high spl in a ported enclosure. You'll also need some hefty electrical to run a salt 8.
Huge space using the whole back

Yeah I have (3) 12" solbaric (square) kicker slim subs in a reg cab pickup.

wall all PS.jpg

They are 600w RMS, and I have 900w going to each. It hits good for what it is, but I only did this, because I absolutely wasn't willing to give up leg room in my daily driver. If I max the volume it will shake the mirrors, drop the rear view, rattle the panels; but two 15s in a ported box with lets say 3-4K watts, would make this feel like it's only half of that.

That 3 slim setup will annoy your neighbors. They will hear it, and feel a little thump if it's quiet out at night. Two 18's set up right with that much power, will have them coming outside with guns, because you're reverberating their houses, and causing them headaches.

View attachment 54596

They are 600w RMS, and I have 900w going to each. It hits good for what it is, but I only did this, because I absolutely wasn't willing to give up leg room in my daily driver. If I max the volume it will shake the mirrors, drop the rear view, rattle the panels; but two 15s in a ported box with lets say 3-4K watts, would make this feel like it's only half of that.

That 3 slim setup will annoy your neighbors. They will hear it, and feel a little thump if it's quiet out at night. Two 18's set up right with that much power, will have them coming outside with guns, because you're reverberating their houses, and causing them headaches.

Talk about 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag. :oops: That wiring is clean.(y)

Last edited:
Huge space using the whole back
You've also got to account for the space needed for a battery bank and your amplifier. You're going to want a pretty beefy lithium bank for a salt 8k and the amp itself is fairly large. 2 of those 18s will need about 14 cubic feet of volume. And that's internal volume, after displacement of port, bracing, and subs. It'll be a beefy setup. If you can fit it all in there Id be very impressed. I say go for the 18s if you can make it work. I ditched my backseat in my Hyundai accent to make room for my 4 12s and they still barely fit lol.

You've also got to account for the space needed for a battery bank and your amplifier. You're going to want a pretty beefy lithium bank for a salt 8k and the amp itself is fairly large. 2 of those 18s will need about 14 cubic feet of volume. And that's internal volume, after displacement of port, bracing, and subs. It'll be a beefy setup. If you can fit it all in there Id be very impressed. I say go for the 18s if you can make it work. I ditched my backseat in my Hyundai accent to make room for my 4 12s and they still barely fit lol.
More than likely using a prefab box, gately audio 2 18s the width is perfect with room on the side for a lithium and my alternator was already upgraded due to external lights and plow, it’s a 12 cubic box. Think that would be enough? I’m honestly thinking about just doing 3 13s because I’m looking for a super duty and expect to use the back for my business for tool boxes ect, But you never know I’ve been going back and forth for about 2 weeks now😁

View attachment 54596

Sweet set up, how’s the lower end? I really want the 13s just because when I listen to music other than rap they will still sound good and I know they would be a lot more musical

More than likely using a prefab box, gately audio 2 18s the width is perfect with room on the side for a lithium and my alternator was already upgraded due to external lights and plow, it’s a 12 cubic box. Think that would be enough? I’m honestly thinking about just doing 3 13s because I’m looking for a super duty and expect to use the back for my business for tool boxes ect, But you never know I’ve been going back and forth for about 2 weeks now😁

With those subs, even with a softer spider pack I wouldn’t do less than 7 cubes per sub. If 12 cubes is the max you can do, I’d go for the neo offerings from Fi and have them do only 2-3 layers on the spider pack.

Sweet set up, how’s the lower end? I really want the 13s just because when I listen to music other than rap they will still sound good and I know they would be a lot more musical
They are rated at 600w, and it wasn't until I got em over 800 that they felt like they were moving like they were supposed to. They didn't even sound right with lower wattage. Small sealed boxes, but I had 10s in the same size box before, and they were more punchy, and I preferred those. It's a discontinued model, and in hindsight, I would rather have 3 10s then 3 12s if they are sealed.

They are rated at 600w, and it wasn't until I got em over 800 that they felt like they were moving like they were supposed to. They didn't even sound right with lower wattage. Small sealed boxes, but I had 10s in the same size box before, and they were more punchy, and I preferred those. It's a discontinued model, and in hindsight, I would rather have 3 10s then 3 12s if they are sealed.
I’m really thinking about running 3 tw5s and just upgrading all my mid range and highs also with the money left over sense the 18s and everything would just about equal that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...