Carputer + New System

I found this one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140000451343&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

It is $39.99 + $15 Priority Mail ship. It has multimedia hotkeys which would be kind of handy in the car.

t is about 1/2" wider and taller than yours though.

I found your exact one at:

http://ogeek.com/product_info.php?products_id=116

For $49.95 +$10.89 UPS ground shipping.

Which one do I chose??

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

???????????? which one?????????

Help!

I know there have been some threads about sound quality on caraudio vs computer setup but I mean I honestly think it would be cheaper to have a carputer rather than buying car audio stuff.
I've always wanted navigation and dvd compatability without having to spend a whole heck of a lot. What would be awesome though is if I could have the 30 band eq's and crossovers and I would almost consider going that route. If you can connect an h701, well..........I might have to start reading on mp3car.com ^_^
Since my computer isnt a fullsize,(mine is using an MINI ITX board,with an m2atx 160watt powersupply)I cant have much of a soundcard i have to use onboard to conserve power,but the usb sound card to me seems worth it,but if u have a fullsize why not buy a XIFI card. but then to buy a XIFI u r spending the same amnt as a equilizer. but u can always have both. like my computer is using the AUX from my Alpine HU so i can still equilize a little bit.

Here is my 2 cents, most of the cd' recorded in 16 bit, so with 24 bit sound blaster, you might as well lose the headunit, i don't think you need it, the problem running aux, is that you have your h/u volume on my, therefore you have a maximum gain, and the sound isn't just as good, as straight through.

Next, beware Epia M10000 doesn't like hot temperatures, mine just fried, therefore Pentium M is just the way to go. so if you will have your pc malfunctioning in next 2 month that's normal, slim dtives are affected just as well, so i recommend booting tiny xp, with a flash drive.

Pentium m projessor running for @20.00 bucks a piece on ebay

Yev

tiny xp? i should read about that? but a flash drive? wouldnt i have to get new motherboard that can handle that,the whole idea was to have a HDD so i can have all my music with no cds. I really dont have that much of a problem with cooling, it runs perfect i have drilled 2 wholes in my ac duct so i can get some more airflow. oh and about the aux setings. I have my computer volume set at about 95% and i use the HU to adjust the volume much more easily, so my settings sound perfect without any distortions. the dvd/cd rom is mainly for dvd's and to update my computer when nessecary

flas hdrive just of operating system, everything else is on hard drive, it works when the hard drive is too hot or cold, giving time hd to start to operate,

i have a different set up, there is no way i can have screen and h/u in the same dash in my Jetta, so i had a headunit inside my glovebox, therefore the only way i can cotrol is via remote, and glovebox open, no that convenient

Yev

sure, little later though, i car pc is fubar, cause my epia m10000 overheated, and i damaged my cpu.

I went to bootlog.ini expedited booting to 5 sec, my car computer used to boot fresh with in 9 seconds, and about 7 seconds to wake up.

i gotta find that flash drive, then i can boot it on my regular pc, and film it, i am sure it would about same.

Personal question, i am thinking of going with aopen pandora, cause it would easily fit in my glove compartment, and i have cooled in my jetta., for the same mooney i can buy pentioum m laptop, i can also rip the screen, and go creative with that.

i am pushing laptop issue

Yev

sure, little later though, i car pc is fubar, cause my epia m10000 overheated, and i damaged my cpu.
I went to bootlog.ini expedited booting to 5 sec, my car computer used to boot fresh with in 9 seconds, and about 7 seconds to wake up.

i gotta find that flash drive, then i can boot it on my regular pc, and film it, i am sure it would about same.

Personal question, i am thinking of going with aopen pandora, cause it would easily fit in my glove compartment, and i have cooled in my jetta., for the same mooney i can buy pentioum m laptop, i can also rip the screen, and go creative with that.

i am pushing laptop issue

Yev
I'd either go with the laptop or another small car PC. Not the aopen.

The aopen PC's I've seen come barebones, you have to add the processor, RAM, hard drive. By the time you add that in you might as well get a complete ready made car PC with everything included.

The Lilliput one I bought has built in bluetooth, DVD player, 40GB HDD, 512 RAM, on board video/audio. I love it. I've almost finished setting up all the software/hardware and about to install it soon.

well since i have most of the components,

i will have to buy opus, or carnetix p1900 power supplies

motherboard from ebay $20-30 USD

pentium M processor $30.00 shipped

that would cost me $200.00

if i add a $100.00 i can go with thinkpad t20, and docking station , plus i get the screen, another cool featre is that i would need minimal wiring, and if case something goes wrong i can just take it out diagnose , and put it back it, and on the hot days, i can take it out

Yev

well with laptop or any fullsize pc u have to have a startup shutdown controller,which i read about are usually a pain when it comes to the software part. 2 main reasons i used mini itx (i wish i could afford a Nano itx) 1 i can hook up an powersupply (M2AtX 160watt max about 80watts rms)integrated with a shutdownstartup contoller that uses only jumpers. 2. Is much smaller i can tuck it away stealth(in my case behind my dash) there are other reasons too like i dont need "REAL" processing power,just enough to play movies listen too music and use iGuidance(GPS). Right now i am trying to draw up some sketches on how to make a small case for my whole pc(so fits in the double din) so it will make it easier for me to take in and out when requiring maintenaince..

shutdown controller, is built in in carnetix, opus, or m1/m2-atx devices as you said

i mean those are the only way unless you want to fool around circutry, and they are smart power supplies as well.

i explained why laptop would be better in my case i think above,

you can buy a dock for laptop, and hack the dock as your start/shut down controller, (set jumpers, and everything there) rather than disasembleling the laptop, thinkpads are durable machines you can pick on ebay for under $120.00

stay away from P4's they need a lot of cooling maintenace

Yev

im curious are you on mp3car forum, cause i am, i go by the name of MegaloRESE15".

the onlything is i like my computer steath as possible, i dont like it when its under a seat to much too worry about,like people kicking it and my sub is taking a 1200watts pound so i dont want that near my hdd at all.

sick work man. lookin really clean. hey would you happen to know if there is a program you could use to get your computer to display custom gauges and read your tach/speedo and/or other gauges you have in you car? i always thought it would be kewl to have a few tvs in the dash rather than gauges.

There is a program where it will give u all that u hook it up to the cars "Brain" serial port. but i dont know what its called,it will give all the engine diagnostics. but my GPS software tells me how fast i am going hehe. I read on mp3car some guy had his car taken to the dealer for minor maintenance, he left it there for a bit. and when he got his car(WRX) back he checked his logs(SPECIAL DETRAIL- He(the owner) shut his screen off while his carputer still stays on and off,and he has a program that records everything) anyways when he checks his logs he see the car went out of the dealer and on the highway and was goin 106mphs!!! he showed a screenshot to the dealer and got the person who drove his car suspended without pay for 2 days. I know what ur thinkin thats not runing his car at all,it can handle it, yeah it can handle it but the the dealer has no right at all too be goin that speed,its dangerous.

but i dont know if that will help u but,i thought it was a great story to tell,"Im always watching you" is what im thinking

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.