Chevy spark install

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gonzo2770

Daughter just got a chevy spark and wants to upgrade system. LS model with 4" coax in dash and small 4x6 in rear corners (open air).

Looking at possibly getting:

double din pioneer fh-x930bhs

Audiofrog gs42 in stock dash location

there are stock 4x6 in rear corners (not sure if they need replaced)

A sealed 10 sub in hatch area

4 or 5 channel amp. looked at pioneer gmd9605 but not sure as there are not many reviews and pioneer does not seem to be to popular for amps. Everyone suggests getting what they have.

My main concern is the fact that only a 4" coax can go up front. Mid bass is going to suffer. What are the best suggestions. Not looking for pods or door mods. She is on a limited budget. Maybe about a $1000 for all hardware and then whatever install would be. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Daughter just got a chevy spark and wants to upgrade system. LS model with 4" coax in dash and small 4x6 in rear corners (open air).
Looking at possibly getting:

double din pioneer fh-x930bhs

Audiofrog gs42 in stock dash location

there are stock 4x6 in rear corners (not sure if they need replaced)

A sealed 10 sub in hatch area

4 or 5 channel amp. looked at pioneer gmd9605 but not sure as there are not many reviews and pioneer does not seem to be to popular for amps. Everyone suggests getting what they have.

My main concern is the fact that only a 4" coax can go up front. Mid bass is going to suffer. What are the best suggestions. Not looking for pods or door mods. She is on a limited budget. Maybe about a $1000 for all hardware and then whatever install would be. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.
Alright. So.

Whats your reasoning behind that head unit if any?

You should look at the space that the 4x6 fit into and see if they have the depth or size to put 6x9s or 6 1/2s in it with an adapter.

Are you gonna build the box yourself? If so, there is no reason not to go ported and designs are easy to come by.

What is she gonna use for a source? Phone? aux? mp3s on a flash driver? cds?

That hu had hd radio and spotify control and was just a double din to fill up the space a little more plus she likes the mixtrack feature for diff colors and such. She is 18 so you know that's important:D

She will primarily be using her phone as a source no cd's. Like I said she is 18 and does not now or will every probably own a cd.

The 4x6's in the back each have a very tiny shelf on each side so not much room for anything bigger than that. Not sure we would replace them at first. Maybe just run them off of deck. Not sure yet. I am more concerned with only having AF GS42 4" coaxes in the dash. Hoping that it will sound good. Neither of us have a "critical ear" so if it sounds good and is crystal clear at higher levels we will be fine. Audiofrog has a 4" mid speaker that I was wondering about for rears but had heard it could muddy up the sound.

Not building my own box and I was going to use a sealed for what I understood gave a little tighter base. With her being 18 I don't necessarily need her system being louder than mine. She needs to pay attention to the road first. My understanding was that ported could play louder but not needed in this case. Was looking at the JL Audio TW3 sealed system in a 10". Read good reviews.

That hu had hd radio and spotify control and was just a double din to fill up the space a little more plus she likes the mixtrack feature for diff colors and such. She is 18 so you know that's important:D
She will primarily be using her phone as a source no cd's. Like I said she is 18 and does not now or will every probably own a cd.

The 4x6's in the back each have a very tiny shelf on each side so not much room for anything bigger than that. Not sure we would replace them at first. Maybe just run them off of deck. Not sure yet. I am more concerned with only having AF GS42 4" coaxes in the dash. Hoping that it will sound good. Neither of us have a "critical ear" so if it sounds good and is crystal clear at higher levels we will be fine. Audiofrog has a 4" mid speaker that I was wondering about for rears but had heard it could muddy up the sound.

Not building my own box and I was going to use a sealed for what I understood gave a little tighter base. With her being 18 I don't necessarily need her system being louder than mine. She needs to pay attention to the road first. My understanding was that ported could play louder but not needed in this case. Was looking at the JL Audio TW3 sealed system in a 10". Read good reviews.
Ugh, hybrid cars are just not built for good audio. Terrible speaker sizes :/

Mixtrak is a joke and most headunits have a color variation mode. A basic $100 kenwood/pioneer headunit will do fine. Id actually recommend a single din over a double din as i enjoyed having that extra pocket.

This headunit has a built in amp with 40rms. Ive heard good things about it. Its not a ton of power but it may do.

Sony MEX-XB100BT Hi-Power SiriusXM Ready Bluetooth Car Stereo with 160W RMS built-in 4-channel Amplifier!

If shes using her phone, try to convince her to use AUX and not Bluetooth. Bluetooth destroys sound quality.

Considering your options are rather slim. You dont/wont be hitting anywhere near $1000.

Idk what to tell you in the 4x6 department. Audiofrog makes great gear so im sure youll be set with the coaxial up front.

for your fronts and for your rears. Seal them up and youll gain slightly more lower freq extension and better sound quality.

Id go with that headunit, audiofrog fronts, whatever rears you come up with through research and this guys JBL amp

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/627639-monoblocks-sale.html

As for subs

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/627127-fs-ssa-dcon-12-single-4-ohm.html

or one/two of these

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/627761-two-12-image-dynamics-idq12-d4-v-4-a.html

or a Sundown SD3

ANOTHER idea is this

Basic $100 Kenwood/Pioneer headunit with atleast two pairs of rcas out

PPI 900.5

Audiofrog fronts/whatever rears

Subs above with properly sized box.

Thanks for the response. I did look at the subs and the sundown sd3 looks pretty good. Found out the dash 4" have been changed out to 5.25" without to much trimming so that will help the front stage some. Too bad audiofrog doesn't make a 5.25". I will let you know how we move forward.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.