China buildhouse sub pics

so why didn't you just keep the dd-z's?
Fyi, word on the street is that thilo is going to have some lms 5400's again in 5-6 month time frame. Again i'll tell you that if you're looking to play 30hz and down well you won't do better than lms or xbl^2 designs.
snitch snitch snitch alert. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you get a great deal on some xbl2 subs that would get my attention, best sub I ever heard was my Shiva X2 that was destroyed in a car accident.

I believe he may have run out because Magico is using them in their flagship subwoofer. That is one account or sale that Thilo was lucky to land.
inside-magico-qsub.jpg

magico-qsub18.jpg

I'm not surprised by those results for more than one reason. Comparing the nsv3 to the 5200 is more appropriate. You would want to compare the 5400 to an XXX or similar.

I'm diggin' the machined frame out of aluminum there.....so nice. Is that the inside of the HT sub enclosure?

I'm diggin' the machined frame out of aluminum there.....so nice. Is that the inside of the HT sub enclosure?
Yeah, you should Google images Magico aluminum and see some of the machined aluminum enclosures for their speakers. Insanely beautiful.

Hopefully this will link correctly. Here's the 2016 catalog for JLD:
http://f03.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1hCGbLFXXXXX1apXX.PRXFXXXd.pdf?spm=a2700.7803228.1998738840.4.bVJa6q&attachment=2016+catalogue+from+JLD+Audio.pdf

These are the "stock" designs. You can get different sizes and baskets, as well as different spiders and coils for each type of motor.

Anything look interesting to anyone? Would anyone else want some 5" coil 24" subs? Now I'm considering doing two of those.

I just got an email from them saying that they are willing to do small order quantities for me.
I Need 2 or 4 of the saf12 depending on price.

We have a local sub builder here in Colorado named James Pantazes who built some 15's using the 3" coil version. JP posted a video of them on his youtube channel

Oh I have no doubt the NS is a great driver, just not the same type of platform as an Ultra so not the best comparison. No one will say the the 5400 is the loudest driver available. Others will say they do not like a lack of distortion, even though they may not realize that is actually what they're saying, and that's okay.
personally I think that lambda made some very very nice drivers and honestly TC didn't really impress me as a whole. they have low distortion simply because of the very soft suspensions. they didn't hold up in the "spl" arena and had a very small niche. they really didn't do well cross over 50 hz in any car I heard them end. just bottom heavy very narrow bandwidth. each to his own.. they did however sound great down low. very natural. I just see bandwidth as a indicator of low distortion high performance..

If you get a great deal on some xbl2 subs that would get my attention, best sub I ever heard was my Shiva X2 that was destroyed in a car accident.
they have basically a shiva you can buy right now for fairly cheap! if you liked the Shiva try the IA flatlyne..

personally I think that lambda made some very very nice drivers and honestly TC didn't really impress me as a whole. they have low distortion simply because of the very soft suspensions. they didn't hold up in the "spl" arena and had a very small niche. they really didn't do well cross over 50 hz in any car I heard them end. just bottom heavy very narrow bandwidth. each to his own.. they did however sound great down low. very natural. I just see bandwidth as a indicator of low distortion high performance..
This is the most common misconception that I see regurgitated about TC drivers. The key word is relative. Proper understanding of this driver's behavior and proper application considering that behavior is key to successful implementation if you want all around performance. There will be limitations with certain drivers, though, and that is not unique to TC Sounds.
They are indeed bottom heavy. But many of them stretch right out to 2k-3k without any issue other than edge resonance (cone and surround relationship) and cavity resonance (coil former height and pole relationship). Take the SW8000 for example. This driver will straight up play the entire bandwidth between 15Hz and 5kHz which is the epitome of bandwidth (I will gladly make a video to demonstrate this high frequency performance, and yes some of it is resonance due to the aluminum cone). Is it flat? No, but it is far from offensive. No semantics here, I'm just trying to point out the bigger picture. But what you're really touching on is the balance between three areas of performance as it relates to mid bass/bass/sub-bass.

TC has always been bottom heavy and some of that is certainly because of soft spiders. Yes, that also lends itself to lower distortion and limitations on SPL abuse. But that's exatly the balance that Thilo wanted to strike with his designs, I don't imagine cares too much about SPL, lol.

But about the key word - relative. It's up to the end user to put everything together to allow for a balance that has the low end relative to the midbass. Show me someone's setup that is too bottom heavy and I can fix it. I guarantee it.

This is meant to inspire someone of the possibility, not me saying that I'm the shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the most common misconception that I see regurgitated about TC drivers. The key word is relative. Proper understanding of this driver's behavior and proper application considering that behavior is key to successful implementation if you want all around performance. There will be limitations with certain drivers, though, and that is not unique to TC Sounds.
They are indeed bottom heavy. But many of them stretch right out to 2k-3k without any issue other than edge resonance (cone and surround relationship) and cavity resonance (coil former height and pole relationship). Take the SW8000 for example. This driver will straight up play the entire bandwidth between 15Hz and 5kHz which is the epitome of bandwidth (I will gladly make a video to demonstrate this high frequency performance, and yes some of it is resonance due to the aluminum cone). Is it flat? No, but it is far from offensive. No semantics here, I'm just trying to point out the bigger picture. But what you're really touching on is the balance between three areas of performance as it relates to mid bass/bass/sub-bass.

TC has always been bottom heavy and some of that is certainly because of soft spiders. Yes, that also lends itself to lower distortion and limitations on SPL abuse. But that's exatly the balance that Thilo wanted to strike with his designs, I don't imagine cares too much about SPL, lol.

But about the key word - relative. It's up to the end user to put everything together to allow for a balance that has the low end relative to the midbass. Show me someone's setup that is too bottom heavy and I can fix. I guarantee it.

This is meant to inspire someone of the possibility, not me saying that I'm the shit.
ill yake your word for it. i know you know drivers better than probably anyone here..

like i said the lms-r and 5400 sounded a.azing and had killer output bdlow 50, to get them to play higher say 70 really killed efficency.

i like the audiomonle mass as well as the acoustic elegance drivers

ill yake your word for it. i know you know drivers better than probably anyone here..like i said the lms-r and 5400 sounded a.azing and had killer output bdlow 50, to get them to play higher say 70 really killed efficency.

i like the audiomonle mass as well as the acoustic elegance drivers
I hear you, I know exactly what you're referring to. This is more pronounced in the 3" coil LMS drivers. Because of the very low starting point regarding sensitivity, combined with a relatively low BL, asking these drivers to play high bass into midbass is asking a lot simply because they don't have a ton of motor force. This, combined with soft parts that allow for lots of travel, prevent the soft parts distortion that many folks find enjoyable, but translates into a subjective measurement of lacking midbass. The fix, though, is to simply figure out how to extract the unique potential for that unique driver's ability to make midbass and balance it with it's ability to make the lowest frequencies. It takes some figuring out but it's worth it.

Or, you have a killer front stage with gobs of low bass potential. I like this approach. I usually cross very low to the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.