Crimping 1/0 Ring Terms and Testing Ground question

covmaster

I recently did the big 3 and have a couple questions.

First, I had a hard time crimping my 1/0 Ring terminals. I thought I did a good job and then the wire slipped out - so obviously I didn't. Then I did it again and added some solder to the connection, but this also did not work for me. Reason being - after it cooled and looked all great and super secure, I could just flick off the solder! It wasn't sticking to the ring terminal!

I tried some different solder and the new kind worked a little better - but still I am not too confident.

So, question: What is the best kind of solder to use in this situation?

(I've seen a lot of different mixes and have no idea what to use)

Second question, how to do I test my grounds with a multimeter?

And please, sorry for being totally clueless, but I am - so please explain this to me like I know nothing.

I went to home depot and bought one for $36. It's the Sperry DM-4100A - and I have no idea how to use it. For one, is this one good enough for using with my car battery and all? Don't want to "blow" it or something like that.

And I've read some people talk about connecting a part to your battery and another part to your ground location for your amps, but it's still a little vague to me exactly what to do here. What do I set my multimeter to? And what part of the battery to I connect one end to (+ or -). And do I need to disconnect the positive side of the battery before doing this? (sounds like so from others but not sure if that's what they meant).

Thanks for clarifying this all for me!

For the crimping I would put the wire in the ring terminal and before you crimp it down...put some small pieces of solder in the ring terminal with the strands so that they dont fall out....then crimp it with a vise, putting a small bolt in the middle of the ring terminal to basically crush a single point into it.

Then just take a bernzomatic, etc. and heat up the ring terminal to melt the solder and let cool...you should now have a very good crimp made, just give it a stout pull after it cools to confirm too

For the crimping I would put the wire in the ring terminal and before you crimp it down...put some small pieces of solder in the ring terminal with the strands so that they dont fall out....then crimp it with a vise, putting a small bolt in the middle of the ring terminal to basically crush a single point into it.
Then just take a bernzomatic, etc. and heat up the ring terminal to melt the solder and let cool...you should now have a very good crimp made, just give it a stout pull after it cools to confirm too

Good method dude. I will have to try that next time.

I order those 1/0 closed end lugs from ryder freight that are like 89 cents a piece and just solder them on. I test it by putting it in a vise and pulling as hard as my fat ass can pull, still haven't had a soldered connection come loose.

Yes, that does sound like a good method.

But just to make sure I understand how you're using that bolt.

With the tube part of the ring terminal - the part that you crimp - at the split at the top, is that where you're laying the bolt? On top of that line - and then with the vise basically smashing that bolt down into the terminal tub to get both sides to fold down?

Or did I completely misunderstand the bolt part of your explanation?

So tomorrow I think I'm gonna go back to Home Depot and get a benzomatic, some more solder (tips?) and a table vise.

Oh, and maybe return my Digital Multimeter for a cheaper one?? Did I really need to buy the $36 one or would the $15 one have worked just as well for my application?

Thanks!

Good method dude. I will have to try that next time.

I order those 1/0 closed end lugs from ryder freight that are like 89 cents a piece and just solder them on. I test it by putting it in a vise and pulling as hard as my fat ass can pull, still haven't had a soldered connection come loose.
How do you get the 1/0 end lugs from ryder freight?

Can you get them locally? Or do you have to order?

I'm not familiar with them.

Hoping to get my gear tomorrow so I can do this all over the weekend

i cut the terminal long ways, then squeeze it with channel locks. That way one of the cut sides goes under the other side when squeezed.

isnt there a tool for this?

Sounds like you guys are forgetting the flux as well. That is what helps the solder flow into all the cracks. You should dip the wire end and the connector in some flux. Then tin both of them. Then insert the wire into the connector and heat it up. Add more solder if needed to fill the connector.

this gets the job done. just watch your fingers

SledgeHammer.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.