Does grinding mean the sub has gone bad?

marquisbrah
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
The reason for my question is because i have a pair of OLD kicker l7s. A while back one stopped working. It was pretty stiff and there was a grinding noise when i pushed on the center. Some guy fixed it and got it working, but it still grinds. It works fine, but the grinding has me concerned. I got the subs used from my brother and it was already grinding but working ( fixed same sub years back). Wanna sell em and i have a buyer, but i dont know if the grinding noise means its bad. Thanks in advance . Ive googled but i could only find that grinding only happens as a result of a bad sub. If thats my case, then im gonna have to sell way lower

with the subs off push down on the cone in the middle and tell us if u hear any metal grinding noises....if yes u have coil rub and it needs to be reconed or scrapped....

if u push it down and there is no metal griding noise then u may have an air leak in the box most likely around the sub and u need to seal

Well i really dont know what is the exact issue. One day it stopped playing and it would only play in parts of the song, while the other one was working perfectly. Took it to a guy that fixes subs for a local shop and got it back a week later. It would still grind though. It works fine but im not really familiar with sub repair.

Oh and the bad sub was grinding way before it went bad( plus it had already been repaired once before years back)

with the subs off push down on the cone in the middle and tell us if u hear any metal grinding noises....if yes u have coil rub and it needs to be reconed or scrapped....
if u push it down and there is no metal griding noise then u may have an air leak in the box most likely around the sub and u need to seal
When it was "fixed" it was out of the box and it was grinding. Gonna check later today after work. Wish i would have posted before so i could let you know while i was home //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

where is the grinding coming from?
I havent checked in a while and i had just ignored it b/c i thought it was normal (since i got them that way). Ill check later on. I remember it happened when i pushed the center. Thats all i can say at this time lol

It will still play with coil rub...not very good for the sub obviously

Will eventually stop working, I say beat on it hard till it stops playing altogether...than throw in the trash because I'm pretty sure those subs can't be reconed

It will still play with coil rub...not very good for the sub obviouslyWill eventually stop working, I say beat on it hard till it stops playing altogether...than throw in the trash because I'm pretty sure those subs can't be reconed
Well im not even using the subs anymore. I decided to get something else because i knew one day they were just going to go bad. Someones coming to look at them today and if he wants em ill sell them. And yea im pretty sure they cant be reconed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.