Dont think he knows what he's talking about....

Ok so i got a Image Dynamics IDQ10 V2 and a Kenwood KAC5204 off this guy on craigslist. He said they will work fine together.

Here's the specs on the amp:

2-channel car amplifier

60 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (75 watts x 2 at 2 ohms)

150 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

selectable low-pass filter (80 Hz at 12 dB per octave)

Class AB design and MOSFET power supply

the sub is in an enclosure so I can only see the front of it. He says it's an IDQ10 D4 V.2. There is only one pair of banana inputs on the back of the enclosure....but i thought this was a dual coil.... wouldnt that put an 8 ohm load on the amp???

The spec sheet for the sub says:

250W RMS

and impedance of 2/8?? (i can't read it clearly so it might be 2/6)

I've been trying to learn the relationship between impedance and dual coils and wattage and all this ****, but it's extremely frustrating. Can someone please tell me if i can run this sub in bridged off this amp? He said to just wire it in bridged mode and it's fine...he seems to know what he was talking about on most stuff pertaining to audio, but on some other stuff i was just like "...the hell?"

Is this even gonna work? Please don't tell me to buy another amp just because this is a cheap one. I KNOW. I'm broke as hell and cant possibly afford another now. Please help a noob out before i blow this **** speaker up...

i know. i have read through this **** over and over again. Im not lazy but obviously im a moron. I'm aware of the diagrams out there and obviously it's not making sense even when spelled out to me. Can someone please give me a better answer than "UTFSE" as i've already been doing that.

With one pair of terminals on the enclosure, I'm betting he wired the coils in series for an 8 ohm combined impedance. That will be fine for that amp, but will cause you to lose about half of the power it's capable of - that 150W at 4 ohms might only be 75W at 8.

He's correct in saying it'll work, but it may not be enough output for you. Or it could be, try and see. But flexibility (and higher power) at different impedance loads is a main reason why most dedicated subwoofer amplifiers are single channel.

He's a moron....I opened it up and it's a D2, not a D4.

as for the wiring...the positive of one coil and the negative of the other are wired to the pos and neg's at the back of the enclosure. The neg of one coil is wired directly to the pos of the other... which i believe makes it wired in series?

Very simple pull the sub and look at the wires.

If both positive and both negative wires are bridged to the box connector it is in parallel or 2 ohm

If one positive and one negative are jumped and the remaining pos and neg go to the box connector it is in series 8 ohm

If you take a pic anyone here can help

If it's a D4, you'll be getting 120w @ 8 ohms out of the amp. A little underpowered, but that's perfectly fine and will still sound good. If it's a D2, you'll be getting 150w @ 4 ohms.

He's a moron....I opened it up and it's a D2, not a D4.
as for the wiring...the positive of one coil and the negative of the other are wired to the pos and neg's at the back of the enclosure. The neg of one coil is wired directly to the pos of the other... which i believe makes it wired in series?
that would be 4ohms geting 150 watts on a good day. not even half of what i would give it.

Heres the simplest way to put it take the speaker out the box go to bcae1.com go down the right side of the page and click number 38series/parallel basics read it over unti you get it then see if its wired in series or parellel if you stll dont get it pm me and give me a call I can explain a little more to help out

With one pair of terminals on the enclosure, I'm betting he wired the coils in series for an 8 ohm combined impedance. That will be fine for that amp, but will cause you to lose about half of the power it's capable of - that 150W at 4 ohms might only be 75W at 8.
He's correct in saying it'll work, but it may not be enough output for you. Or it could be, try and see. But flexibility (and higher power) at different impedance loads is a main reason why most dedicated subwoofer amplifiers are single channel.
That amp will actually do 120w at 8ohms bridged (60w per channel at 4 ohms)

yup, that's series wiring so 4ohms. Easy way to remember is a dvc can either be 2x the rating of each coil (wired in series, so in a line) or 1/2 wired in parralel (wired separately). It make sense when you think about it that way, at least for me it did.

Heres the simplest way to put it take the speaker out the box go to bcae1.com go down the right side of the page and click number 38series/parallel basics read it over untl you get it then see if its wired in series or parellel if you stll dont get it pm me and give me a call I can explain a little more to help out

Very simple pull the sub and look at the wires.If both positive and both negative wires are bridged to the box connector it is in parallel or 2 ohm

If one positive and one negative are jumped and the remaining pos and neg go to the box connector it is in series 8 ohm

If you take a pic anyone here can help
thanks, but see my above post. I took it out of the box and it's a 2 Ohm rather than 4 ohm and it's wired in series....making it 4 ohm load? Does that mean i can get a good 150w RMS from my amp if i wire it in bridged at 4 ohm?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

gravityeyelids
Mich
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
bbeljefe
20240518_170822.jpg