Excelon or non-Excelon...need an expert opinion

Freefly247

Ok, so I had decided to upgrade my head unit to the kenwood excelon ddx6903s but also noticed the exact same head unit...the kenwood ddx6703s for a lot cheaper. The same head unit but one is excelon. I no about the 2yr excelon warranty And the 6channels and all that...that doesn't concern me. My main concern is it sounding good.

1. I am not running amps or subs so I don't really need all the hookups

2. I have 4 6.5" kenwood excelon speakers in the doors and 2 4x6" kenwood excelon in the dash

Do I, or should I really spend the extra 150$ to get the excelon head unit? Am I really going to notice a difference in sounds quality? Thanks for any help.

i am no expert (they will follow jeff, tahoe) idk about that model or the 6 channel i just got 301 and man it's nice yours is a much nicer unit., but main thing i wanted was a 24 bit da converter which u also need since u aren't running an amp makes 22rms per speaker sound like 40.. i needed 5volt pre outs and time alignment and all that u maynot (but mine was only $119 so nothing like what u looking at) but look for 24 bit converter., the $150 difference they'll have to tell u about..

Well that's the thing...they both have the same 24/36 bit d/a converters. The excelon 6903 has 5v pre outs and the 6703 has a 4v pre outs...is that going to matter for me since I'm not running amps n subs? I honestly have no idea so I'll take all the help I can get. I just want it to sound good.

Amazon prices:

ddx6903s--$500

ddx6703s--$350

Well that's the thing...they both have the same 24/36 bit d/a converters. The excelon 6903 has 5v pre outs and the 6703 has a 4v pre outs...is that going to matter for me since I'm not running amps n subs? I honestly have no idea so I'll take all the help I can get. I just want it to sound good.
Amazon prices:

ddx6903s--$500

ddx6703s--$350
no volts only matter for preamps to an amp.. i'll see if i can get someones attention for u..

[quote name='Freefly247']Well that's the thing...they both have the same 24/36 bit d/a converters. The excelon 6903 has 5v pre outs and the 6703 has a 4v pre outs...is that going to matter for me since I'm not running amps n subs? I honestly have no idea so I'll take all the help I can get. I just want it to sound good.

Amazon prices:

ddx6903s--$500
ddx6703s--$350[/QUOTE]

just get the 6703s because its the same sh*t. You arent gonna be running any amps so it doesnt matter what you get, its the same sh*tty internal head unit amp. The head unit is completely identical and to be honest there's no sense in going with the 6903 even if you run amps because 4 volt pre outs is more than enough. Sound quality is identical both 24 bit DACs, same audio tuning features, theres absolutely no difference.

However i noticed you said you care about sound quality, There is no sound quality on head unit power. I'd absolutely look into an amp if you want any real detail, fullness or clarity out of your speakers.

@BOOMINGRANDPA this is how you mention someone to get their attention into a thread just type @ and there name altogether.

Some HU's are right around 15 rms watts clean. Utilizing an aftermarket amp will make it not only louder, but cleaner too.

I know you said no to amp but perhaps we can change your mind. Just a food for thought.
@Jeffdacheff <---mentioned :) @BOOMINGRANDPA <---also mentioned

Thanks for your help guys. I mean, I suppose I'm not totally against putting an amp in...I could always hide it behind the glove box...trying to keep it stock looking. Just scored a 2001 blazer w 40k miles on it! Looks brand new! I've just never hooked an amp up for reg speakers...only for subs. What size of amp would you recommend for my set up. Prob wouldn't take much. Had to put bass blockers on the 4x6s cuz they couldn't handle anything.

Thanks for your help guys. I mean, I suppose I'm not totally against putting an amp in...I could always hide it behind the glove box...trying to keep it stock looking. Just scored a 2001 blazer w 40k miles on it! Looks brand new! I've just never hooked an amp up for reg speakers...only for subs. What size of amp would you recommend for my set up. Prob wouldn't take much. Had to put bass blockers on the 4x6s cuz they couldn't handle anything.
I have a few tiny amps in mind, will you be adding any subwoofer in the future or just pure speakers? Whats the budget? There's tiny 5 channel amps that can fit in most places as well. AKA underneath driver or passenger seat or behind the glove box. You wont really need bass blockers since the amp will have high pass filters on both the head unit and amps.

No, I do not plan on adding any subs to the truck. I'm pretty much over having subs anymore, too loud(crap, I think I'm getting old lol)...plus need the trunk space. I took mine out a few years ago and haven't looked back. Sometimes I miss it, but not really. Don't have a budget really...but I do try to keep thing practical.

No, I do not plan on adding any subs to the truck. I'm pretty much over having subs anymore, too loud(crap, I think I'm getting old lol)...plus need the trunk space. I took mine out a few years ago and haven't looked back. Sometimes I miss it, but not really. Don't have a budget really...but I do try to keep thing practical.
This 4 channel is very very tiny with good power

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_71775_NVX-MVPA4.html

This one is slightly bigger but is overall much better performance wise

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38338_Precision-Power-PPI-P900.4.html

This is a clone of that ^ exact model for 60 dollars less. same size very tiny but still decent power.

https://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-TN4-900D-Tarantula-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B009NLNY14

Wow that is super tiny! Pretty cool, not familiar with the brand tho...are they pretty good?
pretty much the go to brands for small compact power.

The ppi and soundstream are clones of an older model Hertz amplifier. Pretty proven in the audio competition arena for those particular models. Nvx is decent quality all around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.