Ext Cab Truck - Bigger box or more power making this louder?? Or.............

jake21
10+ year member

Lifted > Lowered
Here is my sub stage to start:

98 Dodge Ram Ext Cab (no rear seat)

Alpine CDA-9886

3x Alpine Typr Arghhhh 12's D4's

Alpine M2000 (birth sheet - 2274w/rms @2ohm)

Wired to 2.67ohm, each getting around 700w

6cft net box @34hz

subs forward/port up

93in port area

etc etc..

On sunday at our DB comp i hit 141.3dbs on the TL and wasnt pleased with the results. I know type r's arent the worlds craziest SPL monsters (its just some of the louder subs our shop carries) but i was hoping for the 145 range.

So today i went back to work today on the box moving it around angeling etc etc and during this process i had to remove the subs to un-anchor the box.

Anyways i though WTH i might as well see how one of these runs by itself in the box (keep in mind its 6cft) and wired it up to 8ohms on the M2000, screwed and mdf plate over the other two cutouts, and HOLY **** that thing pounded the same, if not louder than having all three poundin. I dont have a TL so i cant compare numbers to numbers, but by ear and feel, it was definately within a couple db's +/-

My obvious question is:

Is it the fact that the R is getting a little more juice from the M2000? But its still wired down to 8ohm and should be only getting around 750-800w?

OR

Since low freq. waves take a bit longer to form, would the 6cft box in my ram help those waves develop before exiting? This idea makes sense in my head since the small cabin area inside the truck?

Or could it be something else, im probably completely wrong but i neeeeed to know! This would be awesome if i could run just one 12" and hit in the 140's in a lower class

I am completely stumped, any input, ideas, theorys, funky pups, or antything else is appreciated

Thanks!

~Jake

PS - If anyone wants pics to help paint a picture i can get some, just ask

needs a hair more port for that size box to get biger numbers but i would do a bigger box.. or more power in that box... either way you will do bigger numbers

any idea why the one sub was louder than all 3? it was getting almost the same amount of power. as if it were wired with all 3

not enough power as u have imp rise prob going near 3ohms or higher and ur prob not even giving each 500 rms, when u have one u have more power concentrated on one sub. more power????

yeah but to put one sub in 6 cubes and its much louder being no where near manufacturer specs than 3 subs in proper specs, Hmm interesting.

I have a 96 silverado ext cab and hit 141.7 db in street2 (1st pl) in my 1st MECA event on 5/16/20 with 1-15inch RE Audio sx 15, 1 Kicker zx1500 amp, 1 hc2000 kinetik (sig pic) 8.50 cu ft Box is made for 2 sx 15s from specs,i jus boarded up 1 sub cut out. I used a 42 hertz tone on the USACI comp cd, sub up port up,meter was placed on passenger seat faced forward 20 inches from windshield. I didn;t even think i was going to hit a 140:wow: wish i had my other sx/zx1500/hc2000/ when i competed, i wonder what i wudda hit! I am running 8 ga for my speaker wire/s also:naughty:

Do you have sound deadner/big 3/ho alt/0 ga grnd & pwr installed in the dodge? Jus curious!

I have a 96 silverado ext cab and hit 141.7 db in street2 (1st pl) in my 1st MECA event on 5/16/20 with 1-15inch RE Audio sx 15, 1 Kicker zx1500 amp, 1 hc2000 kinetik (sig pic) 8.50 cu ft Box is made for 2 sx 15s from specs,i jus boarded up 1 sub cut out. I used a 42 hertz tone on the USACI comp cd, sub up port up,meter was placed on passenger seat faced forward 20 inches from windshield. I didn;t even think i was going to hit a 140:wow: wish i had my other sx/zx1500/hc2000/ when i competed, i wonder what i wudda hit! I am running 8 ga for my speaker wire/s also:naughty:
Do you have sound deadner/big 3/ho alt/0 ga grnd & pwr installed in the dodge? Jus curious!
Deadner - yes

big 3 - yes (0ga)

ho alt - not yet

0ga pwr/gnd - yes

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.