Fiberglass???

Blackghost

Hello everyone,,

I have Lexus IS350 and i have a huge plane to custom made my trunk.

I would like to make it of fiberglass but the shop im dealing with said that due to the vibration the paint will start cracking after 1 year or so, unless i wrap it with carpet or somthing like that instead of paint it!

Is that true or not? cuz i care alot about the look, and the carpet idea doesnt sound great to me!

What do you think? and if that is ture, is there anyway i can go a round it??

Thank you

my girlfriend has 3 type r's in a fiberglass box for roughly 3 years and the paint hasnt cracked.

they did use the exact paint that was used on the car that they got from the honda dealer . i dont know if that makes any difference.

my girlfriend has 3 type r's in a fiberglass box for roughly 3 years and the paint hasnt cracked.
I just dunt get it. Why would he told me that if its not true. I mean its a very well knowing shop and they work mostly with luxury cars.

Should be no problems.I have painted a few boxes and have yet to see one flake. They didn't prepare the surface properly thats why it flaked.Also the box shouldn't flex if it does you need more layers of FG.

I just dunt get it. Why would he told me that if its not true. I mean its a very well knowing shop and they work mostly with luxury cars.
easier for them maybe. ive never made one but im sure if you carpet it you might not have to make sure all the imperfections are gone. theres alot of sanding to be done to get the surface absolutely perfect.

easier for them maybe. ive never made one but im sure if you carpet it you might not have to make sure all the imperfections are gone. theres alot of sanding to be done to get the surface absolutely perfect.
Maybe, but that is not the case. I told them money is no problem, and time too.

So, there must be a reason, or its true and it does crack due to the vibration after while specially in hot contries.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif:confused://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

done right the paint shouldnt crack. sounds like they dont know what they are talking about or they're just tryin to get out of doing it. You can have a lil flex and the paint not crack

shouldnt chip or flake or anything. my box is painted to match the truck and after about 2 years, it hasnt shown any signs of deteriorating. good ahead with it IMO. have fun sanding!!!

shouldnt chip or flake or anything. my box is painted to match the truck and after about 2 years, it hasnt shown any signs of deteriorating. good ahead with it IMO. have fun sanding!!!
So, is there a dirferent type of FG or its just one. If there is, which one is the best and the longer lasting??? and for those with install in thier trunks,which type did you use? and is it just a box for the subs or the whole trunk??

Look at all the show vehicles with paint and curves with no cracking.

They just don't want to put the time in or its not there specialty.Just cause they build don't mean they can paint!It takes a lot more time and materials to paint so why not just do something easy that they can get in and out and won't take weeks to complete.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.