First install, question about back up camera hook up

bigtexx

NC
I have a Kenwood DDX 393 head unit which has a reverse wire on the back that I assume is to be tied into a reverse wire on my truck. My question is, since my camera is one that ties into the reverse light on the back of my truck then the video cable to the head unit, do I need to also hook up that wire on the back of the head unit as well? It seems to me that would be redundant but I guess it could also be the only way the head unit knows the car is in reverse. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

test it, I once had an old jensen that didnt need the reverse wire which I believe is purple. So it may work with reverse wire but I would test it by bringing the camera with you to the head unit and messsing with the wires , if it is not mounted yet and confirming.

I recommend that you hook up that wire on the back of the head unit as well? I recently ran into the same issue with a JVC Unit. Apparently, that hookup is needed to inform your head unit that the car is in reverse. The other way only turns on your camera, but the head unit doesn't realize that it should display the picture. Good luck, if you haven't already done it.

I am having a backup camera installed this week. I am having a wireless system put on because it is not prewired. They are suppose to work well and will reach up to 65 feet. It has WiSight Technology. I got the one made by Voyager. I will be curious to see how well it works.

Always hook up the reverse for both camera and head unit.

The wireless systems are junk, the only one that ever was any good for me was the Garmin one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.