First System on a Budget ~ NEED HELP

alldayerrday

I'm starting my cars first stereo system soon. I have an '06 Trailblazer. Currently I have stock everything in my car. I have 400-ish (500-600 if its worth it) to spend on my car. I have a friend who installs systems for fun, and will be having him help me install everything. But here's my problem..

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BUY.

My friend wants to sell me some subs for like 800 bucks and i cant do that. So I'm currently searching through amazon and this site for some deals. I was thinking some MTX terminators 2 12s 1200 watt and getting a 1500 watt amp. (250 total + wire kit) With my remaining cash, buy a decent deck (30-40 bucks) and spend the rest on... (This is where you guys help me) I'm not looking to be king of bass, but have something nice to show off. Does this sound okay for my first set up?

Thanks! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

With my remaining cash, buy a decent deck (30-40 bucks) and spend the rest on...
Your plan is bassackwards, imo. They are referred to as 'source units' and/or 'head units' for a reason, and if you skimp on this area it will adversely affect the remainder of your system choices, no matter how good they may be.

In other words, if there is going to be a weak link in the chain, you don't want it to be your HU.

I would choose a solid HU, first, and then fill-in the rest of my components as the money was available.

I would suggest looking for HUs with 4-8V preouts. Eclipse and Alpine come to mind as offering some solid choices, and picking them up used would be the way to go, just as someone suggested earlier...

i don't think you'd want the "King of Bass" title right now as it's well know and not liked at this time. I personally think with your $400 budget that you should start with a decent head unit and front door speakers. I just did a full install for my friend's sister's Tahoe that was just shy of $700. I did Cadence Momentum 6.5" comps up front and 6.5" coax in the rear ($80 shipped form eBay). Pioneer 3400UB head unit ($110 Shipped from SonicElectronics) and Ample Audio ACWD 15" D4 sub (my old sub but similar can be had on eBay for $100). all powered by a Planet Audio RX5.600 ($100 shipped from forum member, can be had on eBay or similar for $125). wiring was from spools that I have. did 4 gauge Install Bay with 80A agu fuse and holder with a 20ft generic RCA and 20ft of speed wire (rough cost was $50). I built a box just shy of 3 cubes with a 4" aero port and small enclosure for the amp too. wood was from Home Depot ($35 for 3/4" for box, used left over 1/2" scraps to make the amp enclosure). carpet was order for $20 shipped to wrap box and amp enclosure. owner is very pleased with sound and amount of bass.

FYI, the guy trying to sell you his subs shouldn't be called a "friend" as he's screwing you over. I this install for a friend's sister and made next to nothing for the time and effort to do this install. I sold her my sub and amp plus used wire from spools that I already had. after all overhead cost of goods I walked away with $100.

personally I feel you'd be best suited get 2 sets of Cadence 6.5" coax (2 New Pairs Cadence CS3.65 6.5" 800w 3-Way Car Speakers (2) CS3.65 | eBay). get a decent head unit (Kenwood KDC-248U In-Dash CD, MP3, WMA Car Stereo Receiver/Head Unit w/ Aux + USB 19048191786 | eBay). good starting sub (SKAR Audio IVX-12" 300W SUBWOOFER - SSA STORE). Amp to push everything (F100-5 CADENCE 5-CHANNEL AMP 1800 W MAX SUBWOOFER SPEAKERS COMPONENT AMPLIFIER 812902006246 | eBay). wiring kit (4 gauge amplifier installation kit) plus speed wire to connect door speakers to amp (NEW 18 GAUGE 9 CONDUCTORS SPEED WIRE 20 FT SPEAKER WIRE + REMOTE WIRE 918-20 | eBay). total for all this is close to $700 but it's a better start than your "friend" is starting you with. you'll probably be way more pleased with this anyways.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.