Galaxy Tab in '09 F150

Participant count
  • Participant list

wrf2e

I am going to be attempting to install a Galaxy 7 inch tablet in place of my factory stereo in my '09 F150. I am by no means an expert in car audio (I replaced the factory head unit with an after market in my last vehicle and that is about the extent of my experience). I have done lots of reading on a ford owners forum and watched tons of videos of others doing this type of install.

I have purchased a double din face plate and am trying to figure out the best way to mount the tablet to that. It is almost a perfect fit for the screen but I am going to have to get creative on how to secure the tablet in place.

I have also purchased a small amp ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B43LKV0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00).

My plan is to wire a DC outlet behind the dash to power the tablet and then run the audio from the headphone jack to the RCA input on the amp and then from there to the speakers in the truck.

Does this sound like it should work? Is there anything I am missing in my plan?

That will work, I have a suggestion though, order this and wire it into the acc wire, root the tablet so you can install a tasker so you can tell the tablet to come on when power is applied to charger, go to settings in the tablet and turn off screen timeout. So it performs like a Radio. Unless you can find a mod that is double tap screen to wake. Pressing the button is the hardest part to turn screen on.

View attachment 26553390

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I had no idea something like that existed. That looks like a better solution than adding a DC outlet. I do have tasker installed so that it will go on and off when the vehicle is running. I found a thread in another forum where a guy moved the factory radio controls from their stock location down to the bottom of the center console allowing the normal radio functions to remain. He had the tablet audio connected via the Ford Sync Bluetooth function. I don't hav sync, but do have an aux port and believe if I leave the factory radio in place I can skip using the amp and wire it through the aux input.

Good idea. I haven't taken my console apart yet to get a look at the radio. I'm wondering if it would be possible to plug an aux cable directly into the radio. I've never had the most reliable experiences with using Bluetooth in other instances. I'm guessing that receiver is going to have to be charged somehow, so I'm gonna either need to take it out to charge it or end up with a wire in the truck anyway to keep it charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got it about 95% complete. I still need to wire power inside the dash. I'm also thinking about doing a carbon fiber wrap, but that will be for a different day.
885785c315b855930660e2ebb1586d84.jpg

be nice if you could also link up your OBD2 so you can see all your engine info and whatnot.
He can do that, I had that in mine. You can get the obd boxes off eBay for like $9.00 install one of the apps off the market and boom.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've that thought about that, as I've seen others do it, but I wouldn't know what most of the information means. Also, I have one of the things from my insurance company already occupying that slot to get my discount.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.