Get Your SPL Related Questions Answered Here!

alright heres a good question, i think. i'm not sure how to say this but i'll give it a shot.
lately i have been trying out some tones and things w/o a mic. is there a point were turning the volume up so much would cause flexing on the vehicle, which would make it not be as loud as a lower volume, but by keeping the volume down, stop the flexing?
nope..

Loyd L.

KK, new question. Should I brace my box on the outside or the inside??? I don't want my box to be huge so if I can save some air inside I am going to do it. Just cerious if that has any affect on the sound or anything....

Thanks...

Jon
outside with wooden bracing

inside with all thread ONLY.. ever..

Loyd L.

ok i asked this in a thread aswell just incase. so if its not answered there maybe it will be answered here, i hope.
Distortion

ok Distortin, yes it is bad for a sub....real bad. buuuuut will distortion in SPL give u a higher DB?

what im saying is if u crank the volume n etc.... all the way up where u kno theres distortion, will it lessen ur db rating or higher it because its still louder?
50% clip is the limit of gain in my testing..

never turn the headunit or gain all the way up...

set it properly

Loyd L.

Do you think it would be wise for me to take the seat right out and jump to another class?Or just flip the box facing forward and seal it off?
either way can work.. but without testing both methods.. I can't tell you which will do better in your install .. sorry

Loyd L.

What are some tricks for walls?
extremely thick woofer baffles (depth of the woofer or more)

sand in between layers of MDF

lots of all thread bracing

corner slants in all 90 degree angles

resin in the box

rounding the entrance and exit of the port, or using PVC pipe over them

Loyd L.

i have a Q. in my burb would it be better to fold down the 2nd row seats for more db. the box is facing the back with no carpet on the tailgate(fell off). maby put a sheet of mdf over the folded seats so the carped doesnt absorb the waves ? just wonderin.
yes, fold all the seats down you can... and fold the front seats forward

throwing a sheet of wood over the seats won't do much, if anything.. and will most likely disqualify you from most events

Loyd L.

Bracing the inside of a sealed fiberglass box ... any suggestions?
- Steve
more fiberglass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

or wood will do fine too

Loyd L.

more fiberglass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
or wood will do fine too

Loyd L.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It'll be thick, don't worry.

I'm glad to hear that I can use wood inside.

- Steve

I'm glad to hear that I can use wood inside.

- Steve
yup.. alot of people (including yours truly) build a frame out of wood, and after several layers of glass are laid.. drill and screw down cross members inside.. then continue glassing.. to cover the screw holes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Loyd L.

I wouldn't have thought to do it that way ... good ... because I haven't done the front yet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

- Steve

either way can work.. but without testing both methods.. I can't tell you which will do better in your install .. sorry
Loyd L.
I have now tried both set ups and i am havin trouble seeing a real difference. Maybe you guys can help I dont know why I didnt see more of an increase? With the seats up on the termlab mic I got a 138.6 but with the seats unbolted and folded down on the termlab sensor I only hit a 139.0

And because of the seats being unbolted i was in SS1-2. So next time my box is going on my back seat. Thats how the first place guy in my class had it! I wish I had known!

Hello....

I have a ford explorer and am testing a couple different boxes.....

currently I am building a "crx" box, 29x29x14, 4 4" aero's....

Do you think I could gain anything by smoothing the edges on the inside, maybe cutting some wood to make 45deg angles instead of 90deg's on the inside...?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.