Get Your SPL Related Questions Answered Here!

No body feels like tackling my questions above?
rearward is good for all around daily driving, it will more than likely sound a little louder and deeper this way.....it's not always the loudest on the mic though. the bigger your box, the more tight the trunk fit is, the more your #'s will go down when firing rearward.

firing toward the trunklid is a big NO. not only will you lose output to the ear, the mic will laugh also.

forward firing seems to be the best for spl, at least in my experience. best would be port on the drivers side, subs next to each other. if you can't squeeze it like that, port along the bottom will suffice. make sure when you seal it, include the rear deck, a lot of people overlook this. i've founf just a few small holes in the rear deck can lower spl. some more benifits to forward firing is you have more usable trunk space and you don't have that annoying trunk rattle.

Thanks alot for replying..I was starting to think no one had the answers..

Let me ask u something about firing my subs inside the cabin...Ok its going to be a really tight squeeze to fit my two 15s in that small opening....its about 33inches in length. two 15s will take up 30. Anywayz, i definately wont have enough room to port on the drivers side.... If i have enough room to port on the bottom below my subs, i will do that....But lets just say i wont have enough room.....How about sealing off my rear deck but leaving holes for my port...So everything is sealed off, and my ports are on the top of my box being fired into the cabin from the top...Do any of you know how that will sound?

rearward is good for all around daily driving, it will more than likely sound a little louder and deeper this way.....it's not always the loudest on the mic though. the bigger your box, the more tight the trunk fit is, the more your #'s will go down when firing rearward.
firing toward the trunklid is a big NO. not only will you lose output to the ear, the mic will laugh also.

forward firing seems to be the best for spl, at least in my experience. best would be port on the drivers side, subs next to each other. if you can't squeeze it like that, port along the bottom will suffice. make sure when you seal it, include the rear deck, a lot of people overlook this. i've founf just a few small holes in the rear deck can lower spl. some more benifits to forward firing is you have more usable trunk space and you don't have that annoying trunk rattle.
Not always true. In your car it may work but in the next car you may get the opposite effect. There is no real "best position" for a sub. It is all dependent on the car/vehical. Ones best bet is the try every position and wait untill they find the position which best pleases them....

Hope this helps a little....

Jon

That some kind of chilli? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fart.gif.9285a21c4a53b1a914c9dedbfcf9d894.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

He also said he's building the enclosure inside of his trunk, so there's no way he'd be able to try different firing positions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You're right when you said the best way is to try different positions, but it's just not possible in this case.

Next best thing to do would be to find someone with the same vehicle and see what they think, I guess ...

- Steve

Sorry Steve I have terrible spelling as I'm sure you have seen by now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Jon
Hehe, was just kidding around //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Order the DP ??

- Steve

I have a 93 Cadillac Deville with a 15 RE XXX in a 5.2cuft box ported at 32hz for daily and I am going to be making a port plug for 46hz-48hz not sure what at the moment. Now the trunk of the caddy is sealed like a **** tank so I was wondering if I took out the rear fill speakers if that would make a port to the inside of the caddy and possibly make it louder inside.

Also at the moment the only thing I have right now is the XXX with a Cadence ZRS-9 powering it. As well as some Eclipse aftermarket speakers. Would adding some comps, or a Audiocontrol Epic 150, or possibly a Higher End Head Unit ( I have a low end Clarion at the moment ) help with a higher SPL?

-Jp

remove the rear seat. the bottom unlatches. remove the headrest, remove 2 nuts at the bottom of the seat back. you will see an indentation in the sheet metal, using a sawzall, cut it out. does wonders //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

381419_65_full.jpg

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

That almost brings tears to my eyes. I love my bumps but I dont think I could ever do that to my Caddy heh. Did you ever put the Caddy to a meter with the seat/wall o metal intact? Any other suggestions?

-Jp

it's about a 3-4db difference with the metal out. i love my caddy too, but with all of the interior and trunk panels in place, you'll never notice it missing.

also, that hole is extreme. i cut more out and fire forward. if you remove the seat, you'll see the area i was originally talking about. thats more than enough.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.