Help me pick a single 12" sub for SQ and depth

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrmex
10+ year member

colorado
Hi, i've decided i want something better than i have now. Used to have two twelve JL's and now a single old mtx 10. Reason being is my rig has limited space for amps and subs. What i plan on doing is building a custom box in the back.

Requirements:

The box has a max depth of about 4-5". With this depth allowed i doubt i will find any good 10-12" out there so two 6 or 8" subs would be optional.

Also is ported or sealed better?

The amp i am using will be 300 rms output (not changing it)

max $200

Loud and clean as possible

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a brand new JL W3v2 that's super efficient and would do great on that amp for a very negotiable price. Definitely in your budget. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

What amp?Model and Brand.What vehicle?Location of where sub will be placed inside vehicle. Dimensions of enclosure,and tuned too,and size of wood used(5/8,3/4 ect.,prefabed,custom built)?

What amp?
What vehicle?

Location of where sub will be placed inside vehicle.
pioneer prs- d4200f

1994 land cruiser

rear quarter panel

Dimensions of enclosure,and tuned too,and size of wood used(5/8,3/4 ect.,prefabed,custom built)?

all this is something i can build to suit for the sub, only depth would be the limiting factor. I do already have 5/8 mdf ill be using

CT Sounds Tropo 8 v1 is 4.72" mounting depth, 250 wrms, comes in D2 or 4 coils and two of them can be had for less than your budget.

EDIT: And I would recommend running a ported enclosure even if that means running only one sub. :)

I can't find any of the subs you guys have recommended. What about this, it looks like a great deal to me as there are some blemished ones for $130 shipped.

Sundown Audio SD-2 10" 500 Watt SD Series Subwoofer - 1800woofers.com

The box size mounting depth and price is perfect.

Its a little high on the wrms but 300 should still feed it alright?

Or should i go with the 8" as it is 300wrms and would leave some wiggle room if i can't the box big enough. Just wondering how much sound i will be losing over the 10"?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.