Help with my factory installed HU -or- stereo PLEASE!

UNCFMM
10+ year member

NC
Ok, I know I haven't been much help for others around here so some may not feel like I deserve any help in return but honestly, if I could give some useful advice, you best believe I would be doing just that. If you're willing to help me out with a small problem or two then please just read the following...

Ok, I've gotten my two Infinity (1230w) subs put into my box, and my amp (PowerAcoustik LT1440) is supposed to be here by tomorrow but now that I've been driving around more I've realized that any CD-R/RW I make and play just continuously skips.

I bought a whole new pack of CD-Rs from CC yesterday figuring that the reason they were skipping was because the other ones were a cheap brand. Well, you guessed it, same story... put the CD-R in and it just skips and scratches through every track. Please keep in mind that I have already replaced this stereo once with another factory stereo due to a bad tuner (wouldn't pick up any FM stations). Now I've been looking all over the internet to see if there's a problem with my HU and I found one person saying that the 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited factory HU doesn't support CD-R/RWs. Does anyone know if that is true or do I just need to get a new factory HU installed? Also, keep in mind that I want to keep my steering wheel controls for my stereo so I can't do a custom HU, it has to be factory.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I dunno, pics seem to attract people around these forums so...

My 2 Infinity subs, installed in box but not mounted in car:

SubsInBox.jpg

Mah bangin' ride, IN-LINE 6 cylinder, stop me:

JeepSide.jpg

My friend has four of those in his monte. Some stock cd players don't like burned cds... does just cdrw or cdr do it?
CD-R is the only thing I have to test out in it but I can tell you that regular retail CDs don't do it. I mean but I've had the new stereo HU since around mid-April and haven't had any issues with the stereo until now.

You could get an adapter to use your factory controls with an aftermarket deck.

Well that's what I'm trying to avoid, is having to get an aftermarket HU, I'm trying to find out if this factory HU is defective or whether I'm gonna have to get an aftermarket HU.

if you can play retail CD's or the expensive CD-R's teh factory unit is not at fault.

try it out with your cd collection and if that seems the case then you might start shopping for an aftermarket HU

well sometimes the laser in a hu will get weaker with time, that might be why its just now starting to screw up but you might be able to take the thing apart, or go have it taken apart because there might be a pot or potentiameter that can be turned so the laser can be at its full potential, but you might want to ask around first because Im not posotive but my friend did the same type of thing to a ps2 he found in the garbage outside of a home in a rich communitie and had a spare ps2 to hook up in his car.

well sometimes the laser in a hu will get weaker with time, that might be why its just now starting to screw up but you might be able to take the thing apart, or go have it taken apart because there might be a pot or potentiameter that can be turned so the laser can be at its full potential, but you might want to ask around first because Im not posotive but my friend did the same type of thing to a ps2 he found in the garbage outside of a home in a rich communitie and had a spare ps2 to hook up in his car.
Ok, a little update, I can get the CD-Rs to work occasionally (75% of the time) but when they don't skip they make a noise like they're spinning and hitting the top/bottom of player. It's better then nothing but unless you have the music turned up pretty loud you can hear it over it.

Also, I was talking with a friend today and he reminded me that it could be linked back to my burner, it's about 3 1/2 years old now. So is what I'm gonna do is copy a CD on to a CDR with my burner and then copy the same CD to another CDR except I'll use his burner. Then also I'll try both CDRs in his car aswell as in mine.

Thanks for the advice.

Sweet, amp just arrived //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif... now just to get my CD player working right. :\

AmpInBox.jpg

AmpOpened.jpg

Thanks, the Jeep was kept in a climate controlled garage and had never been smoked in when I got it, leather looked fresh and all, no wrecks! It was a great deal although there was a black one that was just like mine except it was a '97 but was owned by the same person as mine was so it had the great background.

I decided to get them all together for teh group photo:

the problem that youre describing now sounds like the same thing that happened to an old sony hu I had and the same problem happened to my friends sony hu I didnt like it so I just slaped my good ol' pioneer hu in and viola always perfection. sony ***** pioneers better and I guess alpines probably better than that. Ive seen some pretty nice factory hu's though all I have to say is good luck and if youre idea doesnt work try a cd player cleaner.

hey maybe you guys can help me out Ive been thinking about joining the navy for electronics, have any of you guys or any friends been in the navy. I know its a stupid question to ask but you dont want to buy a car without test driving it and I dont want to sighn 4 years of my life away to a complete stranger without Knowing whats in store for me. any help would be appreciated

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.