High Volume Distortion

DopeDonut

Ohio
I'm having an issue with my new car audio setup at high volumes. My head unit goes to 50, but after 35 or so the high and low pitch noises become distorted; the mid level pitches sound fine. I have pre-amp wiring going from my head unit to my amp that pushes 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms to my speakers that take 6-60 watts RMS (120 watts peak power). The only issue I can see in the distortion is the fact that I ran wiring from the amp back up to the head and spliced it into the original speaker wires. That, or I need an amp with a higher RMS. Any thoughts?

Head unit is Sony XAV-V631BT.

The amp is a Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D. It has:

5-channel car amplifier

60 watts RMS x 4 at + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

80 watts RMS x 4 at + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

160 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

The speakers are Rockford Fosgate Punch P1675-S:

power range: 6-60 watts RMS (120 watts peak power)

frequency response: 55-22,000 Hz

sensitivity: 92 dB

Last edited by a moderator:
Head unit is Sony XAV-V631BT.
The amp is a Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D. It has:

5-channel car amplifier

60 watts RMS x 4 at + 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

80 watts RMS x 4 at + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

160 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

The speakers are Rockford Fosgate Punch P1675-S:

power range: 6-60 watts RMS (120 watts peak power)

frequency response: 55-22,000 Hz

sensitivity: 92 dB
At those power ratings for both amp an your speakers distortion at high volumes is very possible an will be frequent. I like the RF speakers though... But I'v heard nothing but bad things about soundstream in all their products.
Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

The gains are set all the way up and the RF speakers have the high-pass filtering

Walleyboy, are you saying I dont have enough power?

Last edited by a moderator:
The gains are set all the way up and the RF speakers have the high-pass filtering
You answered your own question on why they are distorting. Gains need to be matched to your head unit rca output voltage.
Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I would try bridging that amp to your front speakers and see what happens. Where/how is the gain set on the amp?
You answered your own question on why they are distorting. Gains need to be matched to your head unit rca output voltage.
Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Bingo. You gotta set your gain in accordance with your HU voltage....in other words to match it. Once you do this, should sound 1000x better.

At those power ratings for both amp an your speakers distortion at high volumes is very possible an will be frequent. I like the RF speakers though... But I'v heard nothing but bad things about soundstream in all their products.
Such as....?? I run SS now.....I've had a few SS amps in the past and no issues. Their Reference amps are prob the best. Details amigo!! I wanna know what you have been told/heard.

Such as....?? I run SS now.....I've had a few SS amps in the past and no issues. Their Reference amps are prob the best. Details amigo!! I wanna know what you have been told/heard.
I'm very well aware that brands in different countries Dnt always operate the same that much I know, build quality is drastically different depending on the brand. I was merely sharing experience an opinions I have heard over my years that's all, I'v owned a few SS amps, absolute garbage trash pieces of crap, weak, ugly chassis, too big, can't handle heat always running into protect mode. SS was the 2nd brand I gave a go.

Thanks all for the help! It sounds great! and I haven't had any problems with the amp so far, but it was kinda cheap for the power outputs it has. I guess I just lucked out!

I'm very well aware that brands in different countries Dnt always operate the same that much I know, build quality is drastically different depending on the brand. I was merely sharing experience an opinions I have heard over my years that's all, I'v owned a few SS amps, absolute garbage trash pieces of crap, weak, ugly chassis, too big, can't handle heat always running into protect mode. SS was the 2nd brand I gave a go.
Well since you did just trash talk on the company I'm running their amps for pushing my subs and speakers, I can tell ya right now, it's more than likely user error. Because I've had my amps for a good solid 2-3 years now w/o any issues. Yes their not the best amps. yes they are budget amps. At the time, I was searching for new amps and my budget was 500....so I picked SS. People like/dislike/hate it gonna have a vast amount of opinions either on their own experiences. There are a few to some people that have ran the big mono amp 1/2 ohm load and the amp heats up fast, no matter how strong the electrical . Well duh! Amp is only/supposed to be 1 ohm capable, not 1/2 ohm.

Well since you did just trash talk on the company I'm running their amps for pushing my subs and speakers, I can tell ya right now, it's more than likely user error. Because I've had my amps for a good solid 2-3 years now w/o any issues. Yes their not the best amps. yes they are budget amps. At the time, I was searching for new amps and my budget was 500....so I picked SS. People like/dislike/hate it gonna have a vast amount of opinions either on their own experiences. There are a few to some people that have ran the big mono amp 1/2 ohm load and the amp heats up fast, no matter how strong the electrical . Well duh! Amp is only/supposed to be 1 ohm capable, not 1/2 ohm.
That's why I say builds arent always the same, some brands that **** in the US do well here, an some that **** here do well in the US.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

And sorry for bad mouthing, that'd not what I do often.

chill.... you need to know that every brand will be completely different in other countries. Soundstream might be okay budget stuff in the US but in Australia, they might not have anything close to what the US has and would be all garbage with their country specific make and models.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.