HO alt, second battery, or none?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DaytonLax14
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ohio
Hey guys I have a 2002 f150 with stock 120 amp alternator with the big 3 and a group 65 agm under the hood. I'm running a Crescendo bc2000.1d amp with my sub wired to 1 ohm. The voltage doesn't drop below 13 volts. I want to add another 4 channel amp (around 200 watts/50 watts to each speaker) to power my coax speakers. I know you can't tell until you try but do you think I will need a high output alternator or a second battery? Or do you think drawing 50 watts from each speaker won't affect voltage drop much?

If i need to do anything, I'd rather get a HO alt because fitting a battery inside of a single cab truck with a large sub box behind the seats will be difficult.

What do you all think?

Do you spend more time listening while driving down the road or with the car off?
I never listen to my system without the engine running. 90% I am driving in town, the other 10% is just playing the system when it's parked and idling.

Do you spend more time listening while driving down the road or with the car off?
I never listen to my system without the engine running. 90% I am driving in town, the other 10% is just playing the system when it's parked and idling.

Should be fine adding the 4 channel as it is for now. Gotta remember, your amps are not gonna draw max current at all times. Look into a H/O when you feel like going bigger.
Roger that. I guess I'll just wire up the 4 channel and check the voltage. If it drops too much I'll look at an HO alternator

I'd give it a shot as-is. I am not familiar with the brand, but I am sure you will be fine adding the four channel. If you do upgrade, I prefer adding the alternator over the additional battery as it may be cheaper when you add in the cost of wiring and such.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

I have a Nissan Sentra...stock alt with the dual post yellow top. Older 5 channel memphis belle and I'd never had an issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

DaytonLax14

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
DaytonLax14
Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date