Installed BIG 3 AND Now After Got Severe voltage drop

Did you bypass the PCM or get a voltage control module? I'm just really worried about voltage drop as I'm probably pushing close to 2000wrms. I read some articles of people that added a second battery and it did nothing with PCM alts that adding a second battery wont even cure the problem with the PCM since the second battery isn't being controlled by the ECU so the alternator will not kick on unless it receives that signal from the ecu.
I havent done it. And i just did big 3 and a second battery. My lights still dim a bit but my voltage drops .2 volts at most now and it use to drop around 2 volts on heavy bass.

I havent done it. And i just did big 3 and a second battery. My lights still dim a bit but my voltage drops .2 volts at most now and it use to drop around 2 volts on heavy bass.
Okay cool. I was worried cuz of this stupid engineering of PCM controlled alts that the big 3 wouldn't do much. My knowledge on electrical tho tells me otherwise power takes the path of least resistances so it should improve even with a PCM.

interesting topic here! but I gotta chime in and say I would assume your cars PCM would tell the alt to charge when ur stereo is going so have tried testing that!For instance at idle with no other things turned on like ur heter, A/C and defrosters turn on and crank up ur stereo a bit I bet the pcm will tell your alt to charge! from what I have read this shouldn't really be a problem for stereo syestems

The ideas I had were loose bolts, checked that they are on there just fine.The other idea I had was moving the batt to chassis ground to another part of the chassis or even grounding to to alt.

this is my bet. easy way to tell if you ave a good ground is pass current through it and see how much voltage drop you have.

interesting topic here! but I gotta chime in and say I would assume your cars PCM would tell the alt to charge when ur stereo is going so have tried testing that!For instance at idle with no other things turned on like ur heter' date=' A/C and defrosters turn on and crank up ur stereo a bit I bet the pcm will tell your alt to charge! from what I have read this shouldn't really be a problem for stereo syestems[/quote']i thought the same thing.. as soon as more power get ****** for anything u would think it would let it produce more power

Okay cool. I was worried cuz of this stupid engineering of PCM controlled alts that the big 3 wouldn't do much. My knowledge on electrical tho tells me otherwise power takes the path of least resistances so it should improve even with a PCM.
Well honestly I just added a gel battery cus the factory one at first my voltage wouldnt droo much, but after a while every bass hit would go down 2 volts atleast. Now it aint doint it nomore, but LIKE I SAID I added second batrery and big 3.

interesting topic here! but I gotta chime in and say I would assume your cars PCM would tell the alt to charge when ur stereo is going so have tried testing that!For instance at idle with no other things turned on like ur heter' date=' A/C and defrosters turn on and crank up ur stereo a bit I bet the pcm will tell your alt to charge! from what I have read this shouldn't really be a problem for stereo syestems[/quote']
I went out today and tested just the mids and highs that are connected to a 4 channel amp at full tilt for about 30 mins and after 30mins of full tilt my voltage went up from 12.5 to a constant 14.4v then i decided to to power down the head unit and the voltage stayed constant at 14.4v which tells me the pcm was seeing the battery draining and the pcm told the alt to stay on to maintain proper voltage til the battery was charged again then it dropped back down to 12.5-12.6 once everything was off for awhile. This leads me to believe the pcm told the alt to turn off cuz the battery was at proper voltage again. When I did this test I didn't test with my sub cuz its not in the car yet still waiting to finish my box up. Just gotta paint the box then I will be testing the sub as well.

I went out today and tested just the mids and highs that are connected to a 4 channel amp at full tilt for about 30 mins and after 30mins of full tilt my voltage went up from 12.5 to a constant 14.4v then i decided to to power down the head unit and the voltage stayed constant at 14.4v which tells me the pcm was seeing the battery draining and the pcm told the alt to stay on to maintain proper voltage til the battery was charged again then it dropped back down to 12.5-12.6 once everything was off for awhile. This leads me to believe the pcm told the alt to turn off cuz the battery was at proper voltage again. When I did this test I didn't test with my sub cuz its not in the car yet still waiting to finish my box up. Just gotta paint the box then I will be testing the sub as well.
sounds like you found the problem

the big 3 just made it so your pcm was seeing the correct voltage

i thought the same thing.. as soon as more power get ****** for anything u would think it would let it produce more power
Nope. If you own a Honda, or Hyundai( and many other manu) you'll realize they have ELD = Electronic load detector. that means the alt will shut off to save gas instead of maintaining 12.8v. There is a shunt resistor to measure current flow for the vehicle usage( blower motor, A/C compressor etc.) the alt will only charge if the current through the shunt is great enough for turn on, OR if the voltage is too low.

Connecting an amp to the battery terminal will NOT cause the alt to turn on as it will not sense the current draw. Meanwhile, your running amp at 12.5V

Btw grampa, stop parroting things you read here. I understand you want to help others. That said, you should be in listening mode. Ive seen some of your posts.

My truck does something similar since I added the odyssey battery. It will randomly only hold 13 volts. I did a search and just like everyone says when my truck sees my battery is a certain amount charged it backs off on the alternators charging to help fuel economy. Apparently this is something ford has been doing for some time now.

Nope. If you own a Honda, or Hyundai( and many other manu) you'll realize they have ELD = Electronic load detector. that means the alt will shut off to save gas instead of maintaining 12.8v. There is a shunt resistor to measure current flow for the vehicle usage( blower motor, A/C compressor etc.) the alt will only charge if the current through the shunt is great enough for turn on, OR if the voltage is too low.
Connecting an amp to the battery terminal will NOT cause the alt to turn on as it will not sense the current draw. Meanwhile, your running amp at 12.5V

Btw grampa, stop parroting things you read here. I understand you want to help others. That said, you should be in listening mode. Ive seen some of your posts.
So is there a way to fix the problem so my amps are seeing 14V? I was planning on adding a second battery but idk if that would even help cuz of the shunt resistor? Any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

So is there a way to fix the problem so my amps are seeing 14V? I was planning on adding a second battery but idk if that would even help cuz of the shunt resistor? Any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
you have to bypass the ELD so the alternator is always charging

you have a new car, so it might be difficult

you have to bypass the ELD so the alternator is always charging
you have a new car, so it might be difficult
Sounds like that would be a PITA to do lololol. I googled all night for ELD on a Hyundai and the only thing I saw that control voltage is the PCM on these cars. To bypass that you still need to give it a power source somewhere. Cuz the PCM controls way more than just regulating the alt.

Sounds like that would be a PITA to do lololol. I googled all night for ELD on a Hyundai and the only thing I saw that control voltage is the PCM on these cars. To bypass that you still need to give it a power source somewhere. Cuz the PCM controls way more than just regulating the alt.
For my 2011 Honda I was able to just turn the headlights on and it would kick the alternator on. My Ford now there's nothing I can turn on to keep it on. *****
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.