Kenwood 4-channel amp add Subwoofer

HotRod33

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello guys!
I have very limited space in my custom build Hot Rod, so I am using Kenwood KAC-M1824BT amp.
Only two speakers in the front doors Focal 2-way component system. They sound ok, but no mids and no bass at all!
So I am thinking to add a Subwoofer. This Alpine PWE-S8 or similar will fit perfectly under the dash.

How can I configure this amp and subwoofer to get best audio quality?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hate to say it, driver placement is amiss. Right beside, preferably above and below like this:

1703729752438.png

You have really broken up the stage locating them like that. The other issue one runs into on the old jalopies is that the doors have a lot less airspace behind them, this reduces any midbass low end extension one might get in a bigger door cavity.

What happens when you put these that far apart is the crossover point (wanna say around 2200-2500?) is diminished as the tweeter and midbass driver are not close enough to assist in bumping, normally suming in that narrow passband range between the high end of the midbass and the low end where the tweeter picks up. More like two speakers doing their own thing instead of two speakers acting like one.

Bridge the kenwood to the focals if you haven't already, that gives you 150x2 to the focals, add the alpine and play with positioning to get the most from is. Another option depending on room would be to get one of these:

and one of these:

Amazon product ASIN B01E5TO9TY
Perfect tiny little amplifier that puts out about 250 at 4 ohms.

1703731021979.png

That is slightly more $$ than the Alpine powered sub, but not by much and would be a perfect compliment to the focals up front.

Thanks for your help!
Unfortunately I cannot relocate speakers/tweeters. Instead I can install 6.5" 2 way speaker and leave tweeter there just to cover the hole.
The reason I got that amp is bluetooth and its very small.
Space under the dash is about 13" x10" and Focal PSB200 will not fit...

That would likely improve the sound. Make a decorative 2" cover for the tweeter holes, many out there...

1703740905770.png

1703740593595.png

1703740705068.png

and sell the comps!

Add the alpine and good to go!

These are hella good coaxials on sale right now for $234, regularly $400 and they are more efficient than the Focal's.

Last edited:
Sounds good!
I just need advice how to connect sub to my amp..
Sorry, got carried away! That units wiring harness contains RCA outputs to send signal to that alpine amp/sub.

1703748184242.png

Simply run an RCA from the Kenwood to the alpine amp.

1703748312786.png

You'll then adjust the gains on the Alpine sub/amp.

1703748881863.png

Personally, If space is that much of a priority, get rid of that amp. I don't know how happy you are with what you got, or if you're willing to spend money on some new equipment, but head units can do that much power, and more. 50w RMS x 4 on a head unit is pretty easy to find. You wouldn't even need to take up the space for that amp, and can use it for a sub amp if you want.

Those speakers aren't bad, but you listed a set of components and then you said you are using 2 ways, so not sure. I would be using those components if there's a decision to be made in there.

Not sure what you want for bass. That powered enclosure you listed might do enough to add to sound quality, but don't expect to feel anything. If you have room to mount a real sub, you can find really small amps that have decent power. Even a slim sub is going to do more, but I'm sure if space is a concern, your electrical probably is too.

Here's one I have that does 500w x 1 RMS @ 4ohm 7.7” x 4.0” x 1.4”
Cerwin.jpg

Personally, If space is that much of a priority, get rid of that amp. I don't know how happy you are with what you got, or if you're willing to spend money on some new equipment, but head units can do that much power, and more. 50w RMS x 4 on a head unit is pretty easy to find. You wouldn't even need to take up the space for that amp, and can use it for a sub amp if you want.

Those speakers aren't bad, but you listed a set of components and then you said you are using 2 ways, so not sure. I would be using those components if there's a decision to be made in there.

Not sure what you want for bass. That powered enclosure you listed might do enough to add to sound quality, but don't expect to feel anything. If you have room to mount a real sub, you can find really small amps that have decent power. Even a slim sub is going to do more, but I'm sure if space is a concern, your electrical probably is too.

Here's one I have that does 500w x 1 RMS @ 4ohm 7.7” x 4.0” x 1.4”
View attachment 55643
thanks, what kind of head unit is this?

Sony makes em, and the looks of this might be a little more hot rod than all the other new stuff.

01.jpg

This one is 68w x 4 , or you can even bridge it 200w x 2 @ 4 ohms, but 68w is right what those speakers need.

I would keep the amp you have and keep the components. Place the components in some universal door pods, and look at getting a powered SAS 8" Bazooka like the one below. Ive used these, and they do quite well. A little searching to find the best price of course

You never stated what vehicle this is you are working with. What vehicle? Limited space, This is where Id be at and working with what I have and adding on the limited. Thats me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...