Lets talk power wire!

I believe while copper heats up faster it's a better conductor which makes power flow more freely? purely a guess though.

This question comes up every week...use the search function (if it's working that is)

Copper = more expensive & more current

Aluminum = cheaper & slightly less current

/thread

I think the general rule of thumb is 0g CCA can flow as much as 2g OFC? Run with OFC though, just do it, will make future installs etc easier, means you won't end up re-wiring, etc etc

I think the general rule of thumb is 0g CCA can flow as much as 2g OFC? Run with OFC though, just do it, will make future installs etc easier, means you won't end up re-wiring, etc etc
At least with Knu 1/0 OFC is rated for 300A while their CCA is rated for 250A. Not a huge difference.

What is all this talk of wires having current.
That was them, not me. I wasn't going to call them out on it since you'll find the same thing everywhere on this forum. Don't nitpick on electrical knowledge, it just makes you look like a d-bag.

I'm just interested in knowing if I should spend the extra money since I only plan on running around 1000 watts total.
You will not see a difference between the two, however if you ever plan to upgrade it may be nice to have the OFC already there...but if money is tight just go with the CCA

I'm just interested in knowing if I should spend the extra money since I only plan on running around 1000 watts total.
if you actually run 1000 watts and never upgrade, you'll probably never see a difference. If you upgrade (which almost everybody does eventually) then it might matter. As others have said, generally it's better to go with high quality stuff to prepare for the eventual upgrade - and go with 100% pure copper.

That was them, not me. I wasn't going to call them out on it since you'll find the same thing everywhere on this forum. Don't nitpick on electrical knowledge, it just makes you look like a d-bag.
Lol kinda rude... And I didn't notice only one person said it. Sorry to offend you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.