Looking for 8" Sub ideas

shellback
10+ year member

TX
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some ideas for a hatchback.

Right now my focus is adding a sub and I think an 8" sealed enclosure seems to be compatible with my listening tastes (jazz, classical, reggae, all genres of rock, and latin). My main interest is to really draw out the percussion instruments.

I was hoping you could help me out with a component sub and an enclosure that matches. Reason I'm aiming for an 8" is size restrictions and space conservation in the hatch.

I'm not interested in building a corner type FG custom enclosure. I've read a bit about building one of these. Although it seems to go with my space saving wishes and lower footprint, I really do not have the time or space to start manufacturing an enclosure.

Budget for a single sub:

$100 - $275

Budget for an sealed enclosure: $50-75

I'm too new to be loyal to any particular brand but some names that have caught my attention:

Focal

JL

Ininity

Image Dynamics

ARC

Current amp is a cheap Ordnance from Crutchfiled, M2100 2 channel which hopefully I can bridge to run the sub.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Is there any way we can approach this just buying off the shelf?

A good, decent tight sounding 8" paired off with a sealed enclosure, preferably the type that sits in a hatchback with the rear of the sub angled to run parallel with the rear seat backrests.

I'm so overwhelmed with the amount out there it could drive anyone crazy.

how about a 8 inch with passive radiatorpr's make it possible to hit many notes and get low like a ported box but keep the box small like a sealed

!!! Sundown SA-8 v.2 PRE-ORDER !!! - Down 4 Sound

the sub i would recomend, beastly 8

Got my PSI Passive Radiator -- What For ?&#33 - SSA Car Audio Forum

and it working with a passive radiator from dave at psi custom made for it. radiator will be 95 and the sub will be 135 thats 230 for some amazing output and sound
This is an incredible idea... Wow. I think I may still pick up 2 SA8s, so I wouldnt need the PR, but that really looks like it sounds amazing.

I would not look to sundown for what you want. There are several other brands that are known for good sealed sq proformance. The sundowns biggest claim to fame is SPL. I would also look at how much bigger a 10" sealed sub would be. Many can be used in less than 1 cf sealed enclosures. And they will not have to work as hard to give you the same bass as an 8.

Thank you very much for the input folks.

As I learn more and more about what to look for, seems like sealed SQ is what suits me best. I can also look into a single 10" since the difference in enclosure size should not be that drastic.

Please continue with the feedback/inputs...

Thank you very much for the input folks.As I learn more and more about what to look for, seems like sealed SQ is what suits me best. I can also look into a single 10" since the difference in enclosure size should not be that drastic.

Please continue with the feedback/inputs...
I think you will be happier with the output of a single sealed 10 vs 8.

You can always turn it "down" if its too much.

That being said, consider the S1 10in..Low power requirements and they work well in sealed enclosures.

Cadence Acoustics S1-Series S1W10-D2, 10

elemental makes a nice sub and it would be a nice fit for your needs. i would do a nice small ported with a single 8 the elementals like small boxes for 1 cube you can do a 8 ported

Mclerico83,thanks.

Curious why not sealed?
Because a sealed 8 does not have enough output. I did a quick model with a JL Audio 8W1-4 sealed and ported plus a 10W1 sealed. The 8 ported and the 10 sealed have the same max output, about 102 db @ 40hz. The sealed 8 has 96 db at the same frequency. 6 db is a lot. And one 8, when driving at 70+ mph, just leaves you wanting more. I know that these are not the drivers you are looking at, and there are other things going on. But in my experience one sealed 8 just doesn't cut it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.