Looking for options for a "simple" Headunit

Participant count
  • Participant list

SquishPud

CarAudio.com Newbie
My double-DIN Pioneer has bit the dust and it's time for something new but as I was reviewing my needs, I'm struggling to find something that ticks all the boxes, so I'm wondering if anyone can make a recommendation that I've overlooked.
I use my Android phone exclusively; for maps, calls & music. Sometimes my GF wants to connect her iPhone. I haven't even listened to the radio since moving to Texas seven years ago. I'm not trying to do anything like mirroring or show all my apps on the screen, nor do I need to play a DVD. I have a backup camera so I need an input jack for that. I don't even need a built-in amp - just a bunch of RCA jacks for the external amp I have (it's factory with four channel input, and I'm looking to add a sub in the near future so 6-chennel outs would be ideal).

I'm not looking for anything that will need me to start programming lessons nor do I want some cheap no-name hardware. I'm old school so Kenwood, Alpine, Sony & Pioneer are some of the names I know. I don't mind paying for quality, in fact I value quality over a cheap price - I just hate paying for features I never use.

Is there something that fits what I'm looking for?

My go to is Kenwood Excelon. They all have (3) 5v preouts, I believe it is easy to connect to two phones by bluetooth, easy to shop for between the different models, front and I want to say rear mounted USB for flash drives or running a cable.

I see 4 options under digital media receivers.

I would look at JVC/Kenwood. All of mine have been worth the purchase and still all work great.No issues. JVC will have the same model as Kenwood, and usually a bit less expensive. Alpine is another to look into. Check out Sonic Electronix for a great deal is where I generally buy mine

Do you want a current model? Why not find the same model you have now if you like it?

I wrote a couple paragraphs before I reread your post and saw you have a camera. Oops!

Do you want a current model? Why not find the same model you have now if you like it?

I wrote a couple paragraphs before I reread your post and saw you have a camera. Oops!
My current pioneer avh-4200nex has a DVD player which is never used, so it'd be a waste of $$ to get it again. Plus, it's got some age and I doubt they make it anymore - pretty sure I got it in 2016..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

SquishPud

CarAudio.com Newbie
SquishPud
San Antonio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views