Looking for help on a setup that fits ME! Help is appreciated!

Hope I am in the right forum for this topic!

Hi all! I used to come here waaaay back int he day when building a setup for my old explorer...

now I have a 2008 Jeep Cherokee, looking to get a nice setup for it!

Couple initial questions:

1. The stock head unit in the jeep looks like this: http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/stills_white_0640/5712/5712_st0640_055.jpg I obviously want to get a new head unit to go along with all my new components. How does this work?

2. The controls on my steering wheel that control my stock head units volume,s eek, etc...those will be unable to work with my new set up, right?

Ok, now onto what I want!

I listen to mainly rock and alternative music. I cant get enough of hearing the bass drum go THUD, so this is a MUST in my new set up! I listen to some hip hop, but it isnt my main cup of tea. Like I siad, hearing the THUD of a bass drum going with the bass guitar is what I like.

I only want one sub, I dont really think I need 2. So maybe one 10 inch? Or a 12 inch you think?

My friend who works exclusively with CDT audio tried to talk to me about amplifiers. But I have this in my head: I want a 4 channel for my 4 door speakers (2 components in front, 2 coaxials in back) and a mono amp to my sub(s). Is this correct? My friend says getting a 5 channel will do it. But I heard 5 channels wont push enough RMS power to each of the 5 channels for what I am looking for. Could anyone go into detail here?

So basically I need help with amp set up, thats a huge concern for me.

What does an EQ box thingy do? Do I need anything like this? Do I need Capacitors?

One last thing... ohms. I have no idea what these mean. All I know is they all need to match up... so what am I looking for? 2 ohms, 4 ohms, or 8 ohms?

Thanks for reading!!

Forgot to mention my budget is $1000 or less.

To start, the image link that you posted isn't showing up at all. You can keep your steering wheel controls with your aftermarket h/u if you use a PAC-SWIX or some other type of steering wheel interface module.

you could get an rca inline conveter which would allow you to keep the stock headunit and controls but for a sub i would go with either a dc lvl 3 10" or a 12" fi q

you could get an rca inline conveter which would allow you to keep the stock headunit and controls but for a sub i would go with either a dc lvl 3 10" or a 12" fi q

I dont know acronyms for brands or makes when it comes to audio equipment.... sorry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

And what about ohms? Or even what amp goes with them? What about my amp and channels questions?

CDT audio makes some excellent components speaker/tweeters. I don't know exactly how to comment on what your interpretation of a "Thud" means. You can do a single sub setup, but if you like hearing the bass hit the low's, go for a ported/vented box. Don't worry too much about the "ohms" thing, this will take into effect after you decide what amplifier you want. You need to decide how much power are you looking to push.

Your friend was right about going with a five channel, as they generally save space. There are numerous multi-channel amps that you could use, but again, you need to decide how much power do you want to run to your interior speakers and subwoofer.

Personally, I would ditch the rears and get a good set of component speakers up front. If you get a 4 channel, i would bridge them into 2 channels so you can power your speakers better. If I had known that before I bought my speakers, I would have saved a ton of money. Also, if there are any shops near you, check out what they have on display and see what you like. Definitely get some opinions here on brands and such and get a one channel (monoblock) for the sub.

Do NOT get a capacitor. You're better off with another battery.

What kind of car? If you want that drum kick in your chest, you may need a lot of power depending on the car. I need to really turn mine up to get that because of my trunk =/

Quick rundown:

1. Component Speakers off an external amplifier

2. Leave the stock rears run of the head unit

3. Subwoofer run off a mono block amplifier. When you decide what you want to get, we can help you with ohms.

4. Make sure to factor in money for quality wiring.. I upgraded twice, first from 8 gauge to 4 gauge, and again to 1/0. It gets expensive. Do it right the first time.

The best thing for you to do if you are clueless about how much power you want to run, is listen to the setups of some of your buddies.

I.E.

I am running a five channel amp called a Memphis Belle, which delivers 1kw to the sub channel @ 1 ohm, and 75w @ 4 ohms to each of my interior spearkers. Most aftermarket interior speakers will be 4 ohms. Depending on what amp you choose, you need to match (Or get close) the RMS power of your speakers to what your amplifier is distributing (Lets say 4 ohms).

Personally, I would ditch the rears and get a good set of component speakers up front. If you get a 4 channel, i would bridge them into 2 channels so you can power your speakers better. If I had known that before I bought my speakers, I would have saved a ton of money. Also, if there are any shops near you, check out what they have on display and see what you like. Definitely get some opinions here on brands and such and get a one channel (monoblock) for the sub.
Do NOT get a capacitor. You're better off with another battery.

What kind of car? If you want that drum kick in your chest, you may need a lot of power depending on the car. I need to really turn mine up to get that because of my trunk =/

Quick rundown:

1. Component Speakers off an external amplifier

2. Leave the stock rears run of the head unit

3. Subwoofer run off a mono block amplifier. When you decide what you want to get, we can help you with ohms.

4. Make sure to factor in money for quality wiring.. I upgraded twice, first from 8 gauge to 4 gauge, and again to 1/0. It gets expensive. Do it right the first time.

I have a 2008 jeep cherokee as posted in the original post. so multi channel for speakers and mono for sub like I originally planned? Or does anyone have a link to an excellent 5 channel for everything that holds a lot of power?

I dont know how much power I want to run as I have a budget and know nothing of whats right for what I want to hear.....

I will be sending you a message tomorrow with a good setup for your budget.Good night all..

I appreciate it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

ok lets start off with a nice deck now it is going to end up being kinda expensive in such a new vehicle as harnesses for them are not so cheap around 100 for just a harness for the deck then around another 50 for the steering wheel control integration module.is there any specific features you need from the deck (ipod controls, usb,memory) or what ever?Then lets move to door speakers your buddy could probably beat my prices for you on a set of cl-61i comps for the front doors and a set of cl-6ex coaxils for the rear. now for the front i would definitely get a nice 150x2@4 ohm amp for the comps but just run the coaxils in the rear off the deck for the passengers..Then a nice 12" idq or fi q in the rear and a decent class monoblock sundown or aq for the sub and for your listening preference i highly recommend a sealed box for the sub to get a quick and punchy response to those kick drums..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.