Looking for the best way to add tweeters

Participant count
  • Participant list

tigey

I want to replace the tweeters in my JL TR 650-csi's, so I bought a pair of vifa xt25tg30-04's. JL, though, says that I should have the speaker running as is. My question is this: Am I better off to ignore JL's "advice," or to parallel wire them, and run a capacitor and pad them with resistors?

If neither of these are feasible, I was thinking I could run it from my pioneer deh80-prs head unit... except Pioneer doesn't recommend using the internal amp in three-way network mode.

Thanks in advance.

are you adding or replacing since you stated both????

There is no reason to add another pair of tweeters, so hook up the Vifa's to the passive xovers or run it all active off the 80prs....

It looks like I'll parallel them and just drop the EQ and volume levels for that particular set of speakers (mids and tweets). Possible drawbacks include (1) the mids' volume will also have to be dropped; (2) maybe I'll have to run two pairs of tweets since JL says I must run their speakers as is; (3) to balance the sound the new lower levels of the now-really-low mids, the sub and rear speakers will need to be lowered. Technically, I'll be running their 4-ohm set at 2-ohms, but I don't think that's what JL meant when they said to run the speakers as is.

Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
mlstrass, first, thank you for the help. I am running my hu on 3-way network; isn't that active? Also, by saying I should run the tweeters off of the passive crossover, do you mean replacing the JL tweets with the Vifas? If so, I'm a bit leery since JL warns not to do so. Right now I'm running the tweets off of the internal amp, and your previous post is correct: I don't need more tweeters. I'm thinking of sort of starting over and selling my speakers (except the tweets) and running the three-way network as follows: low: sub; mid: 6.5" mid drivers in the doors; high range: the Vifas, also in the doors. Is this a good set up? I'm not happy with myself for not getting this right the first time. (I should've married money.) Your help is greatly appreciated.

Yes you are running active and don't need passive xovers. Do not worry about what JL says, run the mids as planned and same with which ever tweeters you choose.

Personally I'd do the tweeters in the A pillars firing across...

I also have the option of parallel wiring the coaxials (presently in the rear deck) with the mids as the midrange speakers in the door, and then run the tweeters as the high range speakers probably, like you say, in the a-pillars. What do you think of that option? Thanks again for your help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.