looking to replace 10"s with a 12"

SPL_COMP

Ok so i have 2 10" sony xplod subs powered by a kenwood 500 watt rms @ 2 ohm amp. Im lookin to get more room in my truck and just go to 1 12" ported.(Right now the 10's are sealed) I know i can get a 12 ported to be louder than my xplods. im lookin to go for a spl type sub that i can run on the kenwood amp i already have. im lookin to spend around 200 bux. thanks.

Hey I think a good value spl sub is Alpine type R overall good sub runs at 500rms and it hits well. You might be able to save some money too.

will one eclipse 6200 or a cvr in a ported box at 2.5 cubes be louder than 2 10" xplods though? im looking to get louder than my xplods with 1 12"
I would think so....isn't it 3 10's=1 12? Or is it 3/2? Either way, the Sony's aren't spectacular subs to begin with, I should think one of the suggested ones, in a ported box should do well. I would also strongly suggest Ascendant Audio, but their new stuff has not come out yet....

Buddy of mine had some Xplods, and IIRC they had like a half inch of xmax. Shouldn't be too hard to beat those. If you want to stay sealed, I know for a fact that Memphis M-Class 12s can get loud in small sealed enclosures with that power. I had 2 M-Classes in about .5 cubes each with a bit of Polyfill in there off of only 500w and they kicked ass. You can get them for like $89 apiece on woofersetc.com.

im worried it might be a little much for my amp. my amp will be way underpowering this sub. also it might be a little much for my truck. this is going in a ford ranger.

Like I said, I really like the Memphis M-Class 12s. Quite a bit of output even in my incredibly small (.5 cubes per woofer) box with only 250w apiece. Very durable and sound good too.

If you have a Memphis dealer near you, see if they have any older model M-Class subs in stock. My local dealer does and the owner quoted me at like $65 apiece. That way you still get a warranty.

Even if you have to get them on the net without warranty, you shouldn't need it. I only needed it once because I was 16, dumb, and didn't set my gains right, so I was clipping.

my sonys are rated at 250 rms but do you think they actually put that out? so will i see a difference in the mclass then my sonys? how much more spl do you think i will get out of them. you helped me out alot. thanks.

my sonys are rated at 250 rms but do you think they actually put that out? so will i see a difference in the mclass then my sonys? how much more spl do you think i will get out of them. you helped me out alot. thanks.
Well, first of all, subs don't put out power, they take it. Number one, you will gain considerable cone area by going to a pair of 12s. And I know for a fact that the MClass subs will get considerably louder. Like I said earlier, a buddy of mine had a pair of Xplod 10s in a single cab truck. About the same enclosure volume as what I had, but had roughly 450w apiece on them. I had my 2 12" MClasses in the aforementioned box with 250w apiece in the trunk of my old sedan. Mine definitely got louder off less power in a much larger environment.

In short, you should definitely notice a considerable difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.