Motor mount question

Participant count
  • Participant list

09civic
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Ok, so i was test driving a car and the owner said it needed new motor mounts. So when he turned the car on the car would vibrate pretty bad in park and reverse. BUT, when in drive it was smooth and no vibration. I looked up if it was for sure the motor mounts and it says that it vibrates at high speeds...help?

yall are useless when it comes to actual cars lol
sadly not true. you have no real question in your original post, you have "help?". what do you want to know since you have no question in your original post and now start name calling.

sadly not true. you have no real question in your original post, you have "help?". what do you want to know since you have no question in your original post and now start name calling.
my question is, does it need new motor mounts? even when online it says that it shakes at high speeds unlike this vehicle wich was shaking in park and reverse.

If you can't check the mounts yourself....take it to a reputable shop and have them check it...

I havent done motor mounts in a hot minute...but i believe the "ghetto" way to check it is you pop open your hood and look at the motor while someone else revs it....if the motor jumps around or looks like it is about to come out of the car then yeah you need new motor mounts.

my question is, does it need new motor mounts? even when online it says that it shakes at high speeds unlike this vehicle wich was shaking in park and reverse.
did you even look at the motor or the motor mounts? if a motor mount is bad you can usually visually tell by the way the motor sits (it'll lean). I can tell you if the motor mounts are bad but I'd have to actually see the car in person. this is like calling your mechanic and saying "my car doesn't work fix it". if a motor mount is bad it can cause vibration at high speeds as well as at idle, depends on the severity of how compromised the motor mount is. vibration shouldn't be that bad at high speeds b/c the motor doesn't move as much and usually at higher speeds you have a constant load on the engine. if the car has a cable pull throttle body you can just start the car up, pop open the hood and give a little throttle and see how much the engine moves. the movement should be minimal, if it move alot than chances are a motor mount is bad. also it will depend on the location of the motor mounts as to what the car will do. it may also be a transmission mount. either way a motor mount is a relatively simple swap if you have the right tools. some can be swapped with only have the engine supported on a hoist, other are pretty much the same just might have to remove one or two more brackets.

did you even look at the motor or the motor mounts? if a motor mount is bad you can usually visually tell by the way the motor sits (it'll lean). I can tell you if the motor mounts are bad but I'd have to actually see the car in person. this is like calling your mechanic and saying "my car doesn't work fix it". if a motor mount is bad it can cause vibration at high speeds as well as at idle, depends on the severity of how compromised the motor mount is. vibration shouldn't be that bad at high speeds b/c the motor doesn't move as much and usually at higher speeds you have a constant load on the engine. if the car has a cable pull throttle body you can just start the car up, pop open the hood and give a little throttle and see how much the engine moves. the movement should be minimal, if it move alot than chances are a motor mount is bad. also it will depend on the location of the motor mounts as to what the car will do. it may also be a transmission mount. either way a motor mount is a relatively simple swap if you have the right tools. some can be swapped with only have the engine supported on a hoist, other are pretty much the same just might have to remove one or two more brackets.
alright so if i went to a local auto shop and they put all new motor mounts in, how much would that cost me?

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

This is a REAL bad motor mount....

i dont see the problem....

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.