need some advice on buss bars and ring terms ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

big scott

blazin low, and loud
edgewood, md
hi guys,

i have 2 ?'s

1- i see allot of people when using many battery s that use a bar to connect them. and i see many use alum. bars .

would it be better using metal bar ?

if not why do most use alum. ?

2- i was looking at the knu 4/0 wire as im going to start upgrading as im adding more power and amps.

does anybody make a nice ring term. for 4/0 wire ?

i plan on runing 2 runs of this ( 2 pos. - 2 neg. )

i seen these but i really dont like them.

Set Screw 4/0 Gauge Ring Terminal / Ground Lug - Merchandise

i mean if i have to then i will, but looking for something nicer looking.

In the chart of the best electrical conductors, it goes silver, copper, gold, then aluminum. Aluminum is cheaper than the others. And it is a metal...

For ring terminals I usually use crimp type.

yeah I don't understand the question. yes you want to use metal, since metal is a conductor, and yes aluminum is a metal and its cheaper and more readily available compared to copper.

set screw terminals are fine, but a crimp type works just as well and are usually cheaper. I always drop some solder into the lug, heat it up and melt it, then stick the wire in quick and let it cool down. Solid connection.

what i was asking is is metal better then alum. when used as a buss bar connecting batterys ?

i see everybody using alum. but if metal is better... you see what im asking. i know alum. can be used as it seems everybody is useing it.

but was just wander why ? is not metal better ?

as for the connectors im asking were can i get some good crimp connectors for 4/0 wire ? i can only seem to find the ones i listed in my first post.

and i dont want them.

if i can find some nice crimp terms. ill get some 4/0 wire from knu.

aluminum can be called metal if you want to call it that.

aluminum is a type of metal, copper is a type of metal, steel is a type of metal....

what i was asking is is metal better then alum. when used as a buss bar connecting batterys ?i see everybody using alum. but if metal is better... you see what im asking. i know alum. can be used as it seems everybody is useing it.

but was just wander why ? is not metal better ?

as for the connectors im asking were can i get some good crimp connectors for 4/0 wire ? i can only seem to find the ones i listed in my first post.

and i dont want them.

if i can find some nice crimp terms. ill get some 4/0 wire from knu.
Aluminum is used more because it's much less corrosive and won't rust. Much cheaper than copper too.

Aluminum is used more because it's much less corrosive and won't rust. Much cheaper than copper too.
Not true.. I am a cnc machinist and create my own buss bars and sometimes terminals.

Aluminum is used alot mainly because it is very cheap. Then you have other metals like kennametal, p-110, j-55, etc.. Then you got straight silver and gold which is all more expensive metal material.

Also not to forget aluminum can easily be ruined faster then anyother metal since it is much softer.

So yes you can use anything that is considered metal and non of them will do better as conductive wise as they will all allow the same current flow the same.

For #2 question there are many companies who make those terminals, but not all will be made by the known audio companies as 4/0 is not a highly used size since its expensive and sometimes are to find unless you look at electrical stores.

4/0 Ga. Ring Terminals, 3/8" Stud

^^^Look around electrical stores for different terminals.

Not true.. I am a cnc machinist and create my own buss bars and sometimes terminals.
Aluminum is used alot mainly because it is very cheap. Then you have other metals like kennametal, p-110, j-55, etc.. Then you got straight silver and gold which is all more expensive metal material.

Also not to forget aluminum can easily be ruined faster then anyother metal since it is much softer.

So yes you can use anything that is considered metal and non of them will do better as conductive wise as they will all allow the same current flow the same.

For #2 question there are many companies who make those terminals, but not all will be made by the known audio companies as 4/0 is not a highly used size since its expensive and sometimes are to find unless you look at electrical stores.

4/0 Ga. Ring Terminals, 3/8" Stud

^^^Look around electrical stores for different terminals.
Good to know, but I know it doesn't rust.

Aluminum oxidizes much faster than copper. There is a special paste goo that electrical contractors need to use on aluminum wire terminations to prevent corrosion which can lead to bad connections and electrical fires. For the difference in price of metals I would use copper as a bus bar, preferably solder tinned for corrosion resistance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.