Need speaker advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

Brock79
10+ year member

NJ
I have a 2012 Ford Edge, im looking to upgrade the stock 5x7 speakers. I was gonna just do a swap but now I think im gonna go with an amp as well. Most likely the JL Audio XD400.4 It is nice and small and should hide nicely where I want it. I need suggestions for speakers though. The last components I bought were JL audio ZR series for my Maxima along with Alpine HU and PDX amps with 2 type X 12 subs. Im not looking to go that crazy this time but I don't want Alpine S series or Kenwoods either. Right now im thinking JL Audio C2 650 in the front doors maybe C3's and im not 100% sure on the rear doors to do another component set or go with a 5x7 or 6x8 coaxil. Ican get the C2's for 140 BNIB so any suggestions need to be around that range. The C3's for 250. I even thought about C3 in the front and C2 in the rear. Thanks

How is the mid bass in those? I also don't plan on adding a sub any time soon. And is there an exact model of those or is it just CTX 6.5?

Image Dynamics CTX65cs iirc.

And the midbass on them is very nice given a proper install as with ANY speaker. I think you'd like them over the C2s as the C2s have a sound that alot of ppl don't like, some may say too laidback. I've played with a bit of sub 200 dollar comp sets and Ive gotta say the ID CTXs are at the top of my list.

Don't bother with the C3s from JL. They sound almost identical to the C2s IMO for more money. The noticeable difference comes in once u hit the C5s.

What are your listening preferences other than strong midbass? Do u like bright highs? Smooth highs? What other comp sets have u heard that u know u like?

Well I have the ZR series in my Maxima, I had Diamond Audio prior to that, not sure of the model but they were in the 500 dollar range. I have heard infinity Kappas and they are just to bright. Also I have heard the older Type R's but I have heard good things about the new ones just released this year. I listen to everything except Heavy metal and no skillrex or dubstep. But pretty much everything else. I have heard other sets also but mostly in the Car audio stores and you can never really get a comparison in an open room when in the car they will sound differently.

Well I have the ZR series in my Maxima, I had Diamond Audio prior to that, not sure of the model but they were in the 500 dollar range. I have heard infinity Kappas and they are just to bright. Also I have heard the older Type R's but I have heard good things about the new ones just released this year. I listen to everything except Heavy metal and no skillrex or dubstep. But pretty much everything else. I have heard other sets also but mostly in the Car audio stores and you can never really get a comparison in an open room when in the car they will sound differently.
Ahh,l see. Well from the sets u mentioned and seemed to like, I'd say the ID CTXs will fit nicely for the price. The tweets aren't as "bright" as Infinity. But, not quite as detailed as upper end Diamonds. But, what do you expect when u spend that much less?

Overall, like I said, the CTXs are hard to beat for the price and I'd put them against other sets that are even out of their price range. The tweeters aren't bright but aren't too laid back and they have pretty nice upper end detail. The midbass on them is solid and the midrange/vocals are smooth.

Here are some vids I made of mine in my room:

This first one shows off the nice low end response on them as well as a nice tweeter presence that isn't too overbearing even on hip hop.

http://youtu.be/wdRebmgsWo0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdRebmgsWo0&feature=youtu.be

This other is of the coaxs but shows some good vocal quality and yes, the coaxs are good for the price, but the comps are still noticeably better to the ear.

http://youtu.be/f6dFvmFnyxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6dFvmFnyxo&feature=relmfu

I think im gonna pass on the ID CTX. I see alot of people selling them and the company is out of business. Might just go with another pair of ZR's in the front and C2's in the rear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.