Need SQ advice on powering an IA flatlyne 12d2

ds0110
10+ year member

TX
I have an IA flatlyne 12d2. 750rms. I really like ppi art amps. I have an a300 paired with my rainbow slcs, and am extremely happy with it.. The ppi art 600.2 seems like the best option within the art line for this sub, however, I see three downsides to this decision:

a) I'm only putting out 600 watts (4ohms) to a sub that can handle 750 easily.

b) These amps are old and may need reconditioning at some point - capacitors do go bad.

c) class AB efficiency when compared to a high end class d. (then again class AB SQ vs class d)

That being said, if it operates at 100% either before or after reconditioning/replaced capacitors...it should put out a little more than 600w being that its an underrated amp and my electrical is at all times between 14.4 and 15.5. Even then, the sub may be underrated as well...The next ppi art step up is the a1200, and 1200 watts is far too much.

My goal is "SQ per dollar". I dont want to spend more than $400 used, and thats if I can get a full 750w of SQ, preferably at 4ohms. Ive watched ebay closely and see A600's go for 250 or less, A600.2 ~275, black A600(.2) 300-325. Ive seen a jl 750 (somehow 750 @ 1,2,and 4 ohms) for $420, an audison 750w, but it was 2 ohms go for 350 on CL locally, so it seems there might be another SQ amp that fits my budget and this sub better than 600+ out of 750+ watts.

Are there any options (specific model#'s please) that fit this SQ sub better within my price range, or is a good condition 600.2 one of the better ways to go for budget SQ?

Why not get the A1200 and back it off a tad? I always say better to have too much than not enough. Plus it's big and beautiful! Get some spacers to link yummy! Some of my favorite amps.

The A1200 is big and beautiful indeed...I wonder how much power these flatlynes can really handle? Surely theyre under rated. At first thought im worried id blow the sub, but I guess with a dmm, and very slow adjustment id be ok. I've never installed an SQ sub before (it seems distortion would be easy to hear), or any sub as nice as this so im paranoid about overpowering. Being that the a1200 puts out so much more than the sub can handle I might pursue someone with an Oscope to set the gains for me if I went that route. I like getting everything out of my sub and that does let me stay with gool ol usa ppi art sq.

About the spacers...maybe im being too cautious again, but if I did that in my regular cab, the amp would go all the way across the back wall. The enclosure I plan on using is a subthump center console enclosure that faces the rear wall. With the spacers, the amp would have to be directly centered in front of the sub, and im worried about those 20 year old parts vibrating apart, lol...Without the spacers I can mount the amps behind each seat so they arent exactly right in front of the sub...now if I were to run into a custom downfire box design that I liked, or come up with a creative anti theft/vibration case/rack, id do the spacer amp for sure.

Hit me up, i own the ks1200.1, maybe we can work something out. 850wrms at 4ohms, lnib with everything it came with. I had it hooked up for about a week, sweet hq amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.