Noob help: Just got a new head unit, and everything sounds worse

Participant count
  • Participant list

mickdeez

NC
Okay so I've got a Scion tC with 2 12's in the back. I had a converter for them to work on my stock head unit, but just bought/had a new head unit installed. My main reason for doing this was to send ALL bass to subs, and not have any bass coming from my speakers. (That's how it should be, right?)

Well after I got my car back, I listened to a song and it sounds even worse with the new head unit. Plus there is even more bass being pushed to the speakers.

What are some general settings I can adjust to fix this? I can't find anything in the menu regarding speaker settings. I got a Pioneer DEH-X3600UI. Some settings under my audio menu are: EQ, Loudness, Sub W, Sub W CTRL, Bass Boost, HPF Settings, and SLA. I know what the EQ is and have it set at a somewhat flat setting for now, but how do I cut bass to my speakers? And any tips on general settings?

Any help would be appreciated

Okay so I've got a Scion tC with 2 12's in the back. I had a converter for them to work on my stock head unit, but just bought/had a new head unit installed. My main reason for doing this was to send ALL bass to subs, and not have any bass coming from my speakers. (That's how it should be, right?)Well after I got my car back, I listened to a song and it sounds even worse with the new head unit. Plus there is even more bass being pushed to the speakers.

What are some general settings I can adjust to fix this? I can't find anything in the menu regarding speaker settings. I got a Pioneer DEH-X3600UI. Some settings under my audio menu are: EQ, Loudness, Sub W, Sub W CTRL, Bass Boost, HPF Settings, and SLA. I know what the EQ is and have it set at a somewhat flat setting for now, but how do I cut bass to my speakers? And any tips on general settings?

Set hpf (high pass filter) to 80hz or so. This should cut the bass to interior speakers, allowing them to play more clearly.

Your stock stereo would have automatically removed lower notes which is why it sounded worse when you got the new unit installed. The tech probably left your settings relatively flat to allow you to setup everything yourself.

Did they remove the line out converter and use RCA's from the h/u?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I've got a Scion tC with 2 12's in the back. I had a converter for them to work on my stock head unit, but just bought/had a new head unit installed. My main reason for doing this was to send ALL bass to subs, and not have any bass coming from my speakers. (That's how it should be, right?)Well after I got my car back, I listened to a song and it sounds even worse with the new head unit. Plus there is even more bass being pushed to the speakers.

HPF - 80 hz

Bass Boost - Off

EQ - Bass all the way negative. Then mid & treble all the way up.

Loudness - Off

SLA - Leave flat or turn up how you like

Sub W - 80hz & turned up all the way up (set properly with amp gain set after!!)

Take these settings lightly as you choose since everyone has there own preference of how they like it.

"EQ - Bass all the way negative. Then mid & treble all the way up."
Why the hell would he do that?
No matter what type of speakers you have all bass does is sorta distorts full range speakers.

If you did not read i put take my settings lightly as everyone has there own preference. When it comes to me i love turning my system up and hearing clarity.

When full range speakers/comps have pure music with no bass coming out it mixes quite well with very loud sub stage bass.

edit: also op wants no base to door speakers!

No matter what type of speakers you have all bass does is sorta distorts full range speakers.
If you did not read i put take my settings lightly as everyone has there own preference. When it comes to me i love turning my system up and hearing clarity.

When full range speakers/comps have pure music with no bass coming out it mixes quite well with very loud sub stage bass.

If he were using hpf on h/u, wouldn't it be useless setting bass all the way negative?

Dude just stop

Oh sorry now im incorrect about having my own opinion on headunit settings.. Please instead of saying dude just stop express some real solution to this.. Everyone here seems to be know it alls..
Your EQ suggestions will cause massive distortion and a horrible balance. By turning the EQ up +3 it is the same thing as using a boost. EQs should be flat or cut only to pull out peaks.

Your EQ suggestions will cause massive distortion and a horrible balance. By turning the EQ up +3 it is the same thing as using a boost. EQs should be flat or cut only to pull out peaks.
With or without an amp?

Stock or even aftermarket headunits will not cause massive distortion till you add on an amp which will cause a clipped signal.

Ive never in my life distorted massively with a headunit when it produces max 20-70 watts.

Also most are not out to pull numbers.. Keeping all settings flat while your substage is amped will cause it to over power your front stage if you try to or not.

Too be honest that's the problem with forums sometimes. You really have to take the advice and learn to sort all the BS out lol. You also want to have balanced sound out of full range speakers imo. The The subs job is to rock the bass but that doesn't mean you can't have mids coming from good full range speakers. Being able to have a well balanced system using what you have is as important as trying to just hammer the base.

With or without an amp?
Stock or even aftermarket headunits will not cause massive distortion till you add on an amp which will cause a clipped signal.

Ive never in my life distorted massively with a headunit when it produces max 20-70 watts.

Also most are not out to pull numbers.. Keeping all settings flat while your substage is amped will cause it to over power your front stage if you try to or not.
You are badly mistaken. You can distort with 12-15 watts just like you can with 1200. Btw HUs produce about 12 watts clean. Not 20-70. Look up some proper RTA/EQ curves and you might understand how EQs work.

You are badly mistaken. You can distort with 12-15 watts just like you can with 1200. Btw HUs produce about 12 watts clean. Not 20-70. Look up some proper RTA/EQ curves and you might understand how EQs work.
I understand how eqs work and which is why i gave op notice TO TAKE MY INFO LIGHTLY. Never did i say do it or dont do it at all.

Now you are correct a headunit will produce 12 watts clean, but most if not all thats per speaker and not total.

Subs are more sensitive to distortion then full range speakers.

Also distortion to non sub stage speakers sometimes even depends on the eq of how a song was made. When you start to hear crackle or unwanted sounds, then you should know to turn the volume down and adjust again.

I understand how eqs work and which is why i gave op notice TO TAKE MY INFO LIGHTLY. Never did i say do it or dont do it at all.
Now you are correct a headunit will produce 12 watts clean, but most if not all thats per speaker and not total.

Subs are more sensitive to distortion then full range speakers.

Also distortion to non sub stage speakers sometimes even depends on the eq of how a song was made. When you start to hear crackle or unwanted sounds, then you should know to turn the volume down and adjust again.
So I take it you really don't know what a proper curve is? There are a few different ones. I prefer the JBL curve, it puts 80hz and below around 6db over the midrange.

So I take it you really don't know what a proper curve is? There are a few different ones. I prefer the JBL curve, it puts 80hz and below around 6db over the midrange.
Sarcastic much?

Continuing to try and consider my answer inferior does not work or help anyone.

You want to show how smart you are use the time you have trying to mess with me and start a topic talking about how EQ's work and how to read signals.

Maybe that will make one less ******** post here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.