poll: how many warnings/tickets have you had with illegal window tint?

how many warnings and/or tickets you received in the past for window tint?

• none, i take the backroads

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • 1-3 warnings

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 4+ warnings

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 1-3 tickets

• 4+ tickets

• other: please post

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

M@nJo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
bay area
i just got my windows tinted 20% up front, and limo in the back. everytime im driving now, i get paranoid thinking ill get pulled by a police officer for dark tints.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

but i would like to know what are you expierences with illegal window tint and encounters with law enforcement officers?

if you remember, state what your percentage tint was and the legal limit at the time being.

*you can vote for more than 1 option* (IE: if you have had warnings and been issued tickets)

ill start: ive had 1 warning and 1 ticket. the warning was when i had 35% up front when CA law limit is NONE up front. the ticket was for the same 35%...i think i got that ticket because it was dark. 35% is nothing in the sunlight!

I voted 1-3 (only happened once). A honda I bought had tint on it when I got it used and one day a cop pulled me over and tried to tell me I was speeding, which I knew I wasn't since it was an area of town known for cops to hang out on and I was probably staring at the speedo more than watching the road. It was probably because I had the Intake/Header/Exhaust on the car and it was 5:30am (on the way to work). Having been foiled at his "speeding" ploy, he sticks his hand in my window and shines his flashlight on my glass and says it's too dark and there's a new law so it will have to be removed. I was like WTF I bought the car like this (it was just dark purplish tint maybe 20% max which is legal). He didn't give me a ticket and I never removed the tint. Never saw him again either. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

i just got my windows tinted 20% up front, and limo in the back. everytime im driving now, i get paranoid thinking ill get pulled by a police officer for dark tints.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
but i would like to know what are you expierences with illegal window tint and encounters with law enforcement officers?

if you remember, state what your percentage tint was and the legal limit at the time being.

*you can vote for more than 1 option* (IE: if you have had warnings and been issued tickets)

ill start: ive had 1 warning and 1 ticket. the warning was when i had 35% up front when CA law limit is NONE up front. the ticket was for the same 35%...i think i got that ticket because it was dark. 35% is nothing in the sunlight!
From my experience it depends on the person driving, the car, and the cop. Its sad but true. If a cop sees a preppy looking white boy driving a BLACKED OUT benz, he's not gonna say a dam thing. If he sees a black dude in an tinted out burban... they'll prolly stop him. At the same time... if you're driving a beater it seems they'd be more likely to stop you, at least here.

unless the windshield is tinted
True.....I want to see someone with 5% tint on their front windshield try to drive at night //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif One of my friends who had just 50% on their windshield with 5%all the way around couldnt drive for **** at night. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

From my experience it depends on the person driving, the car, and the cop. Its sad but true. If a cop sees a preppy looking white boy driving a BLACKED OUT benz, he's not gonna say a dam thing. If he sees a black dude in an tinted out burban... they'll prolly stop him. At the same time... if you're driving a beater it seems they'd be more likely to stop you, at least here.
CAn you say RACIAL profiling on YOUR PART - Why do people always think white cops are out for black people - man that just stirs up the Racist mess our country is in anyways

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

i really dont think it matters on the officer. but i think it could change things up on what car though. we can conclude a scraper sitting on 24" chrome with spinners would get a ticket whereas a soccer mom in her completely stock ford explorer could probably get a better chance of a verbal warning.

I have a funny window tinting story:

Used to go to school in Tallahassee and got 3-4 new cars tinted at a local shop: always 5% all around and 37% over the entire windshield.

Graduated and moved to a new city; I approached a couple Llumar dealers asking for the same tint as I had done on my other cars. One of the guys called the local sheriffs office and told them that he thinks I am a cop trying to entrap him into installing illegal tint. I had a detective contact me and we had a good laugh.

I work with the local sheriffs office; got their local tint contact that they use for their undercover cars (same tint job I got done in Tallahassee). I hate moving to new areas and having to get new contacts...

i really dont think it matters on the officer. but i think it could change things up on what car though. we can conclude a scraper sitting on 24" chrome with spinners would get a ticket whereas a soccer mom in her completely stock ford explorer could probably get a better chance of a verbal warning.
Agreed. I also would suggest (as a result of personal experience) that your attitude when getting pulled over for something like this can make worlds of difference in the final outcome.

I've been pulled over multiple times for my overly dark tint. I've also been stopped due to the lights on my license plate being red rather than white. I've been pulled over for "fog light use during non-inclement weather." Somehow I've managed to keep from being issued a citation for any of it thus far (*knock on wood*) But I'm always polite to a fault, I have no criminal history of any kind, there's never any contraband to be found in my car, and my paperwork (current registration/insurance/inspection sticker, etc) is always present and up-to-date.

I think alot of times things such as those mentioned above are simply an excuse for a cop to pull you over and check things out...and when they don't find anything amiss outside of you being into your ride a bit more than most other folks the cop can't be bothered to fool with excessive amounts of paperwork for something so trivial and they let you go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...