Power steering went out after stereo?

branham1127
10+ year member

Matt Branham
Colorado
Well this is kinda strange lol.. I just installed a stereo for a girl locally and a week or so afterward her power steering stopped working..I install 3-10 systems a week for local people and have for about a year now and I have never run into a problem with it at all. I don't know any real details other than it is a 2007 cobalt and something about her brother checked the fuses and everything is fine.. My question is, is there any possible way I did something to the power steering by putting a stereo in? Details on stereo:

What I installed was a 9887, kept stock speakers off h/u power. A zx1500.1 and pair of 10" alpine type r's..

Battery is already in trunk but I ran a 1/0 from the alternator to the back battery since it was like a 6 gauge wire from the factory.

The battery ground appeared to be 1/0 already so I left it alone.

I ran a positive and negative from that battery up to the trunk floor where I put an HC2000.

I didn't disconnect much in the process of the install, I disconnected the battery ground and I took the alternator post bolt off to connect the 1/0 and then reconnected them both the exact same way and I know I didn't leave any wires un hooked..

Then I connected the 1500 directly to the hc2000 and turned everything on and tuned it..

Her brother seems to think that its my fault and putting the stereo in there messed up the power steering.. Is this even possible? She drove it for a week or more before the problem even came up, if this did it I would think it would have happened right away... Anyways, any input would be appreciated as I am no mechanic.

Sounds like you did everything right so it is just a coincidence that just went bad :/

Sorry to hear that man. I'm just curious, how much did the final bill run? I know a lot of people who want a similar install with similar parts. Install + parts=?

Steering is irrelevant unless you shorted something and if you did, it wouldn't have worked right then and there so yeah. It's not you.

This is just another case of "you had your hands in it last so it's your fault" Trust me thats come up a few times, and I've heard a lot of them. Change out a pair of headlights and if a head gasket pops the following week they'll ask what you did.

Sounds like you did everything right so it is just a coincidence that just went bad :/
Sorry to hear that man. I'm just curious, how much did the final bill run? I know a lot of people who want a similar install with similar parts. Install + parts=?
Well really it all depends on who it is (if i know them or if they were referred by someone). If its a friend I make them pay for the equipment or buy used stuff of mine, and buy me a 12 pack of heineken and pay for a dinner or somethin.. If its someone else I tell them to call our local shop and get a quote. I then cut the price in half and tell them to give me their car for a day. This particular one, the 9887 was ~$260, the amp was one I had and sold her for $300, the subs were $90ish each, the gmos-01 or whichever one I ended up having to use was $70, I had the battery laying around so I did 100 for that, I charge $75 to do a box, pretty much materials plus $20 extra.. Materials were just under $1000, the local shop said $400 for the install so I did it for $200 and a 12 pack of heineken //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif..

This is just another case of "you had your hands in it last so it's your fault" Trust me thats come up a few times, and I've heard a lot of them. Change out a pair of headlights and if a head gasket pops the following week they'll ask what you did.
Yep

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobalts have a recall on the power steering.
Thanks for pointing this out, I actually just called our local chevy dealer and they confirmed this.. But It's still my fault //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Well when the car still doesn't work and everything is out they can feel like idiots.
This is what I was thinking. They will be out a stereo that they paid for, and I will NOT put it back in after all of this bs they have put me through and how much they have over reacted about it. I'll give the equipment back and they can have someone put it in that will charge them and arm and leg and do a shitty job. But if I do this they will have to compensate me for taking it out.

Thanks for pointing this out, I actually just called our local chevy dealer and they confirmed this.. But It's still my fault //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
you mean you actually already told them about the recall and they STILL claim its your fault? if so, tell them youll fix it and this time, cut the brake lines.

you mean you actually already told them about the recall and they STILL claim its your fault? if so, tell them youll fix it and this time, cut the brake lines.
Yes, I told them and they still think taking the stereo out will fix the problem.. I'm sure they think that I'm just making up an excuse for why not to blame me instead of calling themselves to find out. Lol, I should cut the brakes but I'm not like that... She will just have to learn the hard way when the stereo is put back to stock and her steering goes out again while shes driving.. From what the dealership told me the power steering will come on and off randomly with w.e the problem is they had..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.