Proper ways to disconnect and connect an amplifier

Alrojoca
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
We all know the the ccorrect way is to disconnect the neg on the main battery, and connect it when the new amp is connected. Many times disconnecting the main battery can erase trip counters and some car computers may need an idle learning process if disconnected.

Maybe some of the most experienced installers can comment or argue about the methods I listed and which one will be better, if not wanting to disconnect the main battery.

All options assume key switched off or no keys on the ignition switch.

A. Disconnect the Neg on the main battery and back on when new amp is connected? Commonly used

B. Simply disconnect the Fuse for the amp on the pos cable, install amp and connect amp's fuse near the battery again.

C. Same as B except disconnect amps ground and connect amp's ground as the last step.

D. Simply Disconnect the ground on the amp, wrap it or isolate it. Install new amp, then connect the amp's ground as a last step again.

Since all of the above methods work, what are the risks associated with any of the methods listed?

One last question. How do you avoid that initial jolt spark connecting either the amp's ground or battery ground after everything is hooked up? Probably can't be avoided, just thought I would ask.

when you do A from under the hood what happens if you have multiple batteries, arent the amp still connected to those batteries?
The extra batteries will also have to be disconnected because they still will have power. In this case I think you do A and C or simply C removing all the fuses. Disconnecting the main battery's ground simply reduces the risk of electrical damage to the the car's electrical components . However once the fuses are removed there is no risk of any damage to the car's electrical system simply because there is no power on the main positive amp's power cable.

It's really not hard and it really doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it carefully.
That is exactly what I thought, taking the fuse out either before or after removing the amp's ground simply gives some piece of mind, cause

once you remove the amp's positive cable at the amp's positive connector, when the main battery's ground is not removed if that cable touches any metal attached to any painted area, seat belt brakes or anything for more than 2 seconds something may damage or other fuse simply will blow.

so for multiple batteries

A. Disconnect the Neg on the main battery all other batteries in the car then back on when new amp is connected? Commonly used

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.