Question about second battery and isolators

boddy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm going to be running 2600wrms and pulling around 275A. I am aware that i need to install another battery but i have a couple of questions that i cannot find an answer to.

I'm running OFC 0 gauge rated for 350A but to be safe I've fused it to 300A, should the amount of current flowing in between the 2 batteries be alot higher than what your drawing from the second battery? In other words will i be ok with 1 run of 0 gauge linking the 2 batteries or will i need more?

Also my second battery will be only be connected to my amps, if that's the case i don't see why you would need to ground it to the chassis. If you run a ground wire to link the 2 batteries alongside your power wire then when my ignition is on the second battery is able to receive a charge and when its off my amps and my second battery is a complete separate circuit from the rest of my cars electronics. If you run a ground wire then why would you need to ground it to the chassis aswell?

And lastly most of the isolators I've saw are rated for 200A does that mean it effectively fuses the wire for 200A? The only one I've found is the Stinger SGP35, is there any cheaper isolators that will do just over 300A?

If someone could just give me an answer to if i would be ok with just 1 run of 0 gauge i would be very greatfull as i am rewiring my car on the weekend.

one run should be fine. if your dead set on running the iso (guessing u plan to play with the car off?) i hope u have some kind of monitoring on that back circuit while the car is off-

Yeh i will be playing it quite allot with the car off. And i'm going to install a voltmeter on the second battery and run it to my dash.

just be sure you ground are solid and 1 run will hold you. but for 30min play time i suggest at least 1 more additional batt if not 3 more. this is like playing with fire running off battery power.i suggest a good out-board battery charger if u are going to be doing alot of park and play at shows and what not.

Will 275A really drain a battery that quick?

So when i rewire my car on the weekend install 2 runs of 0 gauge, one positive one negative?

Looks like i'm bumping with my engine on and only on lol.

We are talking with my system maxxed aren't we? Surely it will be fine for casual listening.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.