Reconing 4 inch coils

bump465

Senior VIP Member
Arizona
I recently picked up a pair of orion hcca's 15 d-4 for a steal.

The problem is i cannot provide 4kw at 1 ohm. I was looking to recone these to d2's so i can stop clipping them.

Should i recone these with an orion kit? I know that these subs are considered "sub-par" as far as high end goes, so should i instead recone with some other recone kit?

Iv never done this before so all input is welcome

3 fails in a row...

allow me to clarify.

I have 2 amplifiers rated at 2kw each, and i have 2 subs rated at 2kw each.

however as the subwoofers are d4 coils i can either run at 4ohm bridged or 1 ohm bridged.

i wired to 4 ohms and therefore 2 ohms to each amplifier.

This results in only giving 1kw to each of my speakers, so in turn i clip them pretty hard to get some decent output.

Im not riding my gain like volume control, and im not trying to wire my amps to 1/4ohm.

I just want to find a recone kit that will allow me to run my amps at 2ohm mono while not burning up under ~2kw rms.

I see alot of 3inch coils but i cant find next to anything that uses 4in.

as for contacting a third party such as splaudio, id rather not as i dont even want to know how much shipping will cost i would prefer to do this on my own if at all possible, as id like to learn how to do it as well.

Your amps won't run at 1/2 ohm?
Theres no way i can support 800A of current in my set up. ill be dipping enough wiring to 1 im not competition so im not intentionally trying to abuse anything.

As much as i would like to just trade for some d2's that probably wont happen in my area. So i was hoping i could keep the metal parts and drop an even more ****** 4inch coil in there, any ideas?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.