Repairing cone/gasket Fosgate P2 12 inch

Blackout67

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
Hey guys so I traded some of my unwanted/unused stuff for some other stuff that I probably won't end up using either.

Anyways, one of the items I made out with was a Rockford Fosgate P2 D4. Gonna throw it in a sealed box in my truck. However it looks like the gasket, which is attached to the surround, is disconnected about half way around the circumference of the subwoofer where the gasket/surround meet the landing on top of the basket.

I know I can fix it easy with adhesive and clamps but the question is should I remove the surround/gasket completely and redo it all or just the part that is disconnected? Also what adhesive should I use? Is there any good one that I can go pick up at Lowe's or home Depot?and any tips?

Thanks

What exactly is ripping, the surround or just the gasket that goes around the mounting lip of the frame? You don't really need a gasket there ,but surround needs to be securely in place and air tight.

What exactly is ripping, the surround or just the gasket that goes around the mounting lip of the frame? You don't really need a gasket there ,but surround needs to be securely in place and air tight.
Well I've never owned a Fosgate sub before but this one appears to have the plastic gasket that's attached over top the edges of the surround that you screw into. If you pull on the plastic, the surround comes with it without separating

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803-065150.png
    Screenshot_20230803-065150.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 16

So that is how you repair a cone/gasket on a sub, Good info.

Do you do installs? If so I would like to have my ride transported to you for install. It's like you are a spawn of the stereo gods bruh.

Well I've never owned a Fosgate sub before but this one appears to have the plastic gasket that's attached over top the edges of the surround that you screw into. If you pull on the plastic, the surround comes with it without separating
This is kind of a tough one, it's lifting half way around, which could cause an alignment issue.

The problem with lifting the entire surround, is that you really need to shim the voice coil and this get a bit more involved / tricky if you need to remove the dust cap too.

E6000 is a good glue for this.

The best repair would be to lift the entire surround from the frame, remove the dust cap, shim the voice coil, and then glue / clamp the surround. This is a solid long lasting repair.

However, if you were trying to do as little as possible:
You could try scraping the frame where the surround has lifted, remove any old adhesive that remains, spread E6000 all along the frame, use a tooth pick to get it into the edge where it is still holding, clamp the surround, then quickly feel if the cone moves without coil rub up and down, then let it dry.

I did this to an older Alpine Type S 10 I got for free that came unglued about a quarter of the surround, worked fine, but I didn't care how long it lasted, though held up even when I got rid of the sub.

At any rate, good luck with it.

Last edited:
This is kind of a tough one, it's lifting half way around, which could cause an alignment issue.

The problem with lifting the entire surround, is that you really need to shim the voice coil and this get a bit more involved / tricky if you need to remove the dust cap too.

E6000 is a good glue for this.

The best repair would be to lift the entire surround from the frame, remove the dust cap, shim the voice coil, and then glue / clamp the surround. This is a solid long lasting repair.

However, if you were trying to do as little as possible:
You could try scraping the frame where the surround has lifted, remove any old adhesive that remains, spread E6000 all along the frame, use a tooth pick to get it into the edge where it is still holding, clamp the surround, then quickly feel if the cone moves without coil rub up and down, then let it dry.

I did this to an older Alpine Type S 10 I got for free that came unglued about a quarter of the surround, worked fine, but I didn't care how long it lasted, though held up even when I got rid of the sub.

At any rate, good luck with it.
Pretty much what I just got done doing. I got it in on a trade so I'm not too concerned about it. Just picked up some e6000 from Walmart, hand ful of clamps from harbor freight, took a small flat head and scraped all the old glue off (Fosgate really skimps out on glue) and then sanded it with high grit sand paper. Then I put dabs of the glue on every surface possible where the gasket/surround attaches. Now I got like a dozen or so clamps on it waiting for it to cure.

Was low key kind of excited that it was messed up cause I've never fixed a speaker before and I wanted some experience

I'd say if half the surround is still attached alignment will be fine unless you really pull the side you're trying to re-glue way out of true (will be noticeable). I'd just use regular super glue for surround to frame assuming it's a common surround material. RF used to use some type of rubber on the old HX2 cones which would not stick with CA glue, not sure if that's still a thing and 99% of the surrounds you'll find out there will stick forever with CA glue.

I'd say if half the surround is still attached alignment will be fine unless you really pull the side you're trying to re-glue way out of true (will be noticeable). I'd just use regular super glue for surround to frame assuming it's a common surround material. RF used to use some type of rubber on the old HX2 cones which would not stick with CA glue, not sure if that's still a thing and 99% of the surrounds you'll find out there will stick forever with CA glue.
Well I already repaired the sub. Pried the rest of the surround off and redid the shitty glue job from RF and let it cure for a day. Seems to be sticking pretty well but we will see when the cheap sealed box I ordered arrives tomorrow

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...