Router Bits...

No, you have to consider shank size. Your router is probably 1/4" collet, so buy 1/4" shank bits. Having a plunge or fixed base router has nothing to do with what type of bits you can use. Yes, you can use a roundover bit.
Edit: I use all Freud bits. Get good bits, they pay for themselves. You won't regret spending the money.
ok kool. well now i read the frkn thing! haha says 1/2" collet!

well here is a pic of my router:

100_3184.jpg

do you think this will work for me? is it cheap? i have no clue

also the guy i bought a table saw from gave me a blade that i have no clue about

here it is:

100_3187.jpg

You need to buy 1/2" bits. Most of the cheaper stuff is 1/4." If you got it new, though, I would expect that they included an adapter to use the 1/4" bits.

You need to buy 1/2" bits. Most of the cheaper stuff is 1/4." If you got it new, though, I would expect that they included an adapter to use the 1/4" bits.
no didn't get it new. its used. i got it with the table saw in the picture. it also came with the table to mount it.

Get a ruler out and check out how big the hole is. (The whole in which you would stick the bit). It will be 1/2" or 1/4", or maybe like 1/32" larger than those sizes, depending on if it is loose or tightened.

That's the first thing you should do before shopping.

yeah wtf is that for? groves?
Basically, yes. Have you tried searching for these things? Type dado into google. It just scares me that you own this equipment without knowing some of these things. If you don't know the answers to simple things like these, I can't imagine you can safely use the equipment.. but that's just my $0.02. Not trying to offend you or anything.

ryobi routers are decent. i used one before my craftsman then i killed it and moved up to a festool expensive little bugger
I don't even want to know how much that was //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Basically, yes. Have you tried searching for these things? Type dado into google. It just scares me that you own this equipment without knowing some of these things. If you don't know the answers to simple things like these, I can't imagine you can safely use the equipment.. but that's just my $0.02. Not trying to offend you or anything.

bro i have used a fckn table saw before and used my grandpas router to! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif obviously you wouldn't make straight through cuts with a six inch blade that mounts onto a table saw. im not a jack ass. i used to use a jigsaw for cutting holes because that was all i had. I thank you for your concern but i assure you i will not be cutting my arms or fingers off bro!

ryobi routers are decent. i used one before my craftsman then i killed it and moved up to a festool expensive little bugger

I don't even want to know how much that was //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I got the Festool 574277 payed 650 for it. havnt got to use it yet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif still sitting at the X-girlfriends house (her dad builds cabinets and im letting him use it)

I use a harbor freight trimmer router and i bought a drill master router bit set...came with 5 different router bits...mainly bought it for the roundover bit.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44914

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43695

i'll have to upload pics of the box i'm working on now for reference...but i like it so far...
I built a box with seven 8" cutouts with one of those...to my amazement the router didn't burst into flames before I was done

Well if you have the 1/2 collet, get 1/2 bits. And spend the cash on a quality bit. It will stay sharper longer.

btw, this was a 1/4 cove bit I was using on a oak when it decided to let go. Flew out of the router and hit my leg. Made a nice little gash.

hvo58j.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.