what to seal doors with?

traksta15
10+ year member

I love lamp.
When you guys are deadening your doors, what do you guys use to seal the big holes in your door? I've seen guys use peel n seal and some thin plastic sheet stuff held in with self tapping screws, where can I find the plastic sheet stuff? I looked everywhere in my local lowes but had no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I use thin sheet metal, silicone, and pop rivets.

DSC01291.jpg

People use wood, some use metal + rivets. I personally suggest going and getting those hard cardboard "For sale" signs and the like, just whatever you can get out of that material, taping it all together with packaging tape, and then put it over the door. That way, if you ever need to get in there, you can just take it off with out having to drill out the rivets.

The bass that your mid range produces shouldn't be enough to flex that cardboard. If it does... kudos.

while at lowes I found that stuff you use to cover flurescant (sp?) lights, it's a thin, semi opaque sheet of plastic, has a rough texture (like a bunch of squares) Think that would work?

It was thin enough that I could shake it and it would wave, Im pretty sure I could cut it with wire cutters.

Hey man are you comming to the spl comp in mankato this year its about a hour and 10 min drive from were you are...I'd like to here ur stuff
yup I will be there. I'll be bass racing in my MDX.

while at lowes I found that stuff you use to cover flurescant (sp?) lights, it's a thin, semi opaque sheet of plastic, has a rough texture (like a bunch of squares) Think that would work?
It was thin enough that I could shake it and it would wave, Im pretty sure I could cut it with wire cutters.
I'd put deadener on it at least. It might be harder than you think to cut if the material is brittle.

I have 40 sq ft of damplifier, i also have 2 rolls of peel and seal left over from a previous install that i'll use pretty heavily on the holes (over whatever I use to cover the holes as well) Where can I find that non hardening clay? Is it expensive? How should I use it around the baffle?

I have 40 sq ft of damplifier, i also have 2 rolls of peel and seal left over from a previous install that i'll use pretty heavily on the holes (over whatever I use to cover the holes as well) Where can I find that non hardening clay? Is it expensive? How should I use it around the baffle?
Try to find an art supplies store in your area. I think thats where most people are getting theirs.

If your talking about lenses for fluorescent lights, do not use it, that stuff gets extremely brittle. Use some sheet metal or some 1/4 board.

If your talking about lenses for fluorescent lights, do not use it, that stuff gets extremely brittle. Use some sheet metal or some 1/4 board.
how hard is it to cut sheet metal? I can just use self tapping screws to hold it up right?

Just use wood. People worry it will rot... it wont. Just paint it. Ive used wood to brace doors many times, some times for many years, never had a problem with wood rot. And it tends to be alot more rigid than sheet metal unless you get some pretty thick metal, which is harder to work with than wood.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.