SE12 Ported build, sub and port location

GregU
10+ year member

Oldschool
Right now I have my SE12 sealed in a 2008 Scion TC, hatchback.... every other direction except facing the sub back ***** MAJOR ****.... my questions is when I build a ported, I think i'm going with 2.3ft3 @ 28Hz, should I have the sub facing back and the port on top or have both the sub and port facing back, or do both port and sub facing up? In a sealed if I face the sub up it sounds like nothing....literally. Would porting it have a different effect when facing up?

face back
Dimensions are 30 x 14.25 x 14.25, when I shut the hatch there's not going to be a lot of room for the air to move around the sides and top.....right now there is because my sealed dimensions are 16 x 14.25x 14.25.

Max dimension is 43 x 16 x 16. That would be touching the sides and the glass on the hatch. Gives me 6.5" on each side and 1.75" on the top for the air to move...

From what i hear, you need ATLEAST port width, to the back wall. I doubt you'll have a 6" wide port, So you should be good as far as the back wall goes.

I have maybe .75" ontop of my subbox, for the air to move //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Wish i could go ported with my SE's.

that width isn't wide enough to move the air the SE will want to move IMO. Make it like 3" or so. Better yet do aeroports if possible
If I do 3" wide it puts the tuning at 36hz and I can't add enough length with the dimensions I have, even if it wraps around because then I don't have enough volume..... I might just do aero ports.... it would be easier to do. Anyone know of a good calculator for aero port tuning?

Win ISD shows on a 2.0ft3 @ 28Hz, One 4" x 19.84" aero port.

if you take your floor board & the right foam compartment out you'll have more room to built a box your box, I also have scion tc in which i'm working on a new box as well.

I had a RE SE , which i really liked.

I didn't like it facing the hatch, i faced it into the side of the hacth which i thought it sounded the best for me.

Placing it on the hatch floor gave me more bass, at least that what it seemed to me.

you have plently of room to play with, it's just how much work are willing to put into your box to utilize the space.

what i'm saying is your hatch has curves & if your'e willing to take your time to cut & contour those curves to make your box fit like a glove, you will be happier in the long run.

then you add a aero port, paint,or carpet it to make it look custom.

Just got the box built, I ended up going with 2.0ft3@27Hz...... turned out very nice. I dunno why RE even recomends sealed enclosure for the SE.....it sounds SO much better, even SQ wise, and a HELL of a lot louder. I was worried about it loosing SQ after porting it but everyone on here told me it wouldn't loose any and they were right, it actually gained some SQ.

I can't wait to meter it on Monday:D My 1.2ft3 sealed ran a 131.8@35hz......

Conclusion - Sealed blows huge hairy horse c0cks for the SE.

Conclusion - Sealed blows huge hairy horse c0cks for the SE.
I STRONGLY disagree

Ive had both, and the se sealed makes baby jesus happy.
Well, maybe I was a little "off" on that statement. Maybe, "if you don't want to get the full potential of an SE, go sealed." Sealed did sound nice, dont get me wrong, but 2ft3@27Hz sounds better(IMO) in every way possible.

BTW, what were the specs on your ported box? Maybe that was the problem?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.