Speaker Help

OneAndOnly

CarAudio.com Newbie
I’m currently running a JL JD 400/4 amp providing 75 watts RMS at 4 ohms and 100 watts at 2 ohms per channel. I have Alpine S2-S68 speakers, however they clip a lot even with the amp gain turned down quite low (Tuned at 75% volume). Does anyone have any loud 5x7 or 6x8 speaker recommendations? I especially love the 1-2k and 5-8k hertz range so tweeters are important to me. Thank you!

Last edited:
Just have to watch the depth on those with the 6x8s originally on the Fords. I had to do spacers to get my 6.5" mid-bass to fit properly when I went to the Stevens MB-6s. So make sure you measure that as well. But he is right 6.5" components will fit when measured properly for the depth.

I've got a real shocker here, but this is wrong.
IS HE GONE???
OIP.6ZX3xSTQWbRZdXfhQuptwQAAAA

What's the crossover point on the Alpine speakers? running it full range?
https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/s-series-speakers-s2s68 The tech specs aren't anything to brag about. Should've considered the Alpine R-types which are a little better, like the rs68 or spr68

If running full range, get a sub, cross the door 6x8 speakers at 80hz, and you'll be able to reduce your clipping issue, assuming your amplifier isn't junk.

If you up your budget from cheap entry level speakers, you might be able to find some improvement too. Here are some upper and mid level 6x8's.

If it were my vehicle, Id shave the speaker opening to fit 6x9s for a better option list of speakers. You could even use 6x9-6.50 plates to get even more options for the 6.5s. A Dremel or Rotozip wouldnt take long to open the gap. I like to use duct tape along the opening and gut from there to make it easier to cut the metal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...