System Recommendations

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jsteenburgen

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
Hello all...
After building comp systems in 1989 and again in 1999, I'm looking to build another.
I have been away awhile...I plan to line out my RDX into 2 quality amps ( JL Audio ? ) and use Focal separates and JL subs ( 13W6v2 ? ). Any equipment suggestions are very much appreciated if my plan is off base. Looking for loud high quality sound with low THD and plenty of headroom.
Thanks !

Things have changed A LOT since 1999. Do you want to go comp and fill, strictly front stage, fully active, combo active, and passive with separate DSP or amplifiers incorporating DSP? Quad 8's, triple or dual 10's12's, 15's, 18's or a single 24? Sealed, bass reflex or IB?, aftermarket HU, CD, no CD. Sky's the limit, unless you have a $$ limit, as most do. JL makes great subs, great amplifiers, etc. Focal makes great comps' amps. subs too (I've been a big follower of Focal products over the last 30 years or so). I prefer the hard tight dynamic musical punch of dual Focal 33v2 poly glass 13s" over the sound of 45hz 135db drag race BASS output. I like the properly tuned sound of a really good quality alloy or beryllium tweeter yet also love the sound of an Acuflex damped Morel silk dome. Gots to know more about where you want it to take you before recommending where you can take it.

The big changes since 1999 is in the electronic control of everything. It’s not uncommon for a $100 head unit from Walmart to have a 31 band eq, crossovers and time alignment built in and an app so you can set it all up with your phone. And if you can’t replace your head unit you can get an dsp that will do the same thing while keeping your factory stereo. Also, now days even most of the cheap amplifiers sound great. If you have any budget restrictions at all spend your money on the head unit (or dsp) and the speakers. Any main stream amplifier that makes enough power for your speakers will be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...