THE Android-based HU - I guess there's only two...

caseymcc
10+ year member

Ca-Fi Infotainment | Android

Didn't see this posted yet, so hopefully I'm not a ring-ring

Looks like they're releasing it as standard double DIN and also some mounted options for various car models, which could make it look more integrated to the dash.

Probably the next best thing to a carputer, without all the endless tweaking, not that there's anything wrong with that... certainly is priced like one.

I can already see me integrating OBD2 tuning/diag, FLAC playback and bejeweled2 while driving/flying at high speeds.

Slated for hopeful spring 2012. For a no-name hong kong company, it's been getting a good bit of buzz for a while. Will most likely be on my list, unless I go for another Pioneer.

I think for sure this is how HU's will be in a few more years.

I would not be willing to buy that Hong Kong one but as soon as one of the Major (Alpine, Pioneer, ect) come out with one I would buy it.

They are selling them yes, but aren't released.. or maybe I need a new eyeglass prescription..

Crispin, I hate to break it to ya, but EVERYTHING is made in China and no major company is going to make an Android/Linux HU.. it won't happen, too much of a niche market in a niche market.

But I'm pretty certain I'm going to wait longer for the integrated version for my speed3... maybe that's what isn't coming out till spring.. will look way better than shoving that thing in a fake-looking mounting kit.

Nice concept, but did anyone else notice the dedicated iPod input?!?!?!?! Annoying and ironic all at the same time!! Even a dedicated Droid HU can't escape the grasp of Apple. Isn't that kind of like a new Corvette requiring the use of a Ford oil filter?????

I'd rather a company offer all format options instead of just one, shows a sign of no favoritism and allows higher availability to more people.

But, guess who won't be using that cable..... THIS GUY

The main reason why companies can't offer direct Android hookup and control via screen is due to it's open-source nature, meaning there is no set media player that the HU can access on android devices.. That's why it works for apple. Yes, they could offer an android app for free that allows this function, but again, favoritism to the majority dollar sign.

I'd rather a company offer all format options instead of just one, shows a sign of no favoritism and allows higher availability to more people.

I agree..... To a point. Apple has tried (and for the most part succeeded) creating a monopoly for themselves. Now that the Droids are starting to come up in the market place, I guess I just want them to do their own thing and start to push back on Apple a bit. They made all of their products very exclusive of their competitors. Now I think someone should do the same. In the future, when there are a few more players in the market, it would be nice if they were all fully compatible though...

I think you come from a hopeful mindest, which I like, but don't forget where Android comes from... Google, another giant conglomerate dead-set on ruling the world in their eyes as well. It's all the same meat, just a different cut. Apple wants to rule with a right handed iron fist of set ways, google wants to rule as well but with other ideals, allowing more creative leeway to the user, in a manner of speaking, so long as their name is on it and the money lines their socks. Keep in mind that android-based phones still outsell iPhones. This is because of their lack of hardware delegation and management, giving them more avenues with hardware companies and their devices. This also sets back customer satisfaction and decent devices (apple has this issue too, but I've seen them give out replacement phones when someone clearly abused it past warranty(two roomates, twice, hilarious stories actually), you cant beat their iPhone cust support, its a big leg they stand on) . Google would rather own by taking over multiple facets instead of the "rule only by one" way. In the long run that could work (apples way) but ONLY if they can manage to get such a huge foothold that they can control more than they are now. I don't think this is what they want, they just want to have their giant piece in the pie chart and be that label that "other people" buy, which has quickly turned into the label that all buy. No longer can a douche get laid for having an iPhone...so, in essence, it's a good thing.

I work in the computer animation/vfx/motion graphics industry, I also live in the world of stinky hipsters...LA... so I deal with plenty of apple fanboys and pc fanboys.. and I freelance, so I'm constantly working with some new snot-nosed brat that doesn't know what he's really talking about, yet won't shut up about how awesome one little thing about a pc or mac is... it gets annoying. OK, this just turned into a rant that has nothing to do with any of you, stopping.....

What's the biggest perk on this guy? FULL CUSTOMIZATION! I MEAN FULL! I could show you guys so many ways to take advantage of this in your car, especially if you're a tuner. Android is Linux, Linux can do anything in the right hands. This is the perfect carputer... don't give a sh-it it's from china, all those parts inside are made there anyway. (same with apple, msoft, htc, they all use foxconn hardware... a GIANT china company, google their CEO, while youre at it google how many work-related suicides they've had.. it's insane)

More game-players would be nice, but in such a niche market, in this world economy, it just won't happen... So this is where home-made carputers come in, and that's your best "other" option, pending that you want to put the skill and time into it. I'd love to... a fave nerdy labor of love, I'd call it..

Why this extended explanation? Probably because I talk too much and I'm pre-gaming before a party. Take it as you will, I'm still new here and tryin to sell my dang amps... that are awesome... buy them...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.