tuning an AB vfl 4480.1

poolman966554

Senior VIP Member
PA
i just installed the vfl 4480 on a pair of RF p1s' @4 ohm. i have the LPF at 12'oclock, and the SSF at 10'oclock.

That said, i have a factory deck, with a line out converter for rca signal.

Just to make these subs play loud, i have to turn the bass eq switch to 12db, and have the gain 7/8 of the way up to make it hit as hard as my oldschool 350 watt kenwood amp... what the hell is going on here?

FB1i5Vs.jpg

4WAx4Vo.jpg

thanks for the suggestions. if im goin $70 in on a converter, i might aswell pony up for a new head unit..

i was trying to check voltage coming out of converter, i got no reading - 0v on AC

i wasnt using a test tone, just music playing. but i thought i should atleast see it jump around. Makes me think i was measuring it wrong. output signal is ac right?

Same happened with my 4480.1 back then. Was clearly weaker than my hifonics bxi 1610d by all means in a direct swap back and forth a few times, great electrical, powerful head unit signal, just zero output with the amp as the source of the issue. Kinda why i pushed you towards the actual vfl amps.

Some people claim success with the 4480.1 so it might be a quality control issue, nevertheless i will never touch a hybrid vfl again.

Ill put money on that LOC.First thing I do with a stock unit is trash all of it and go after-market.Never have any issues that way.Thats a beastly amp..I wouldnt have 4 of them if they werent.Ive been happy with mine since day one

I have the same amp and i have no problems getting loud.

The main issue is you are expecting way to much power out of 4 ohms.

At 4 ohms i would say you are doing between 600-900 watts even at max gain plus clipping.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Them hybrids are lame. Shoulda got the American bass ph4000. It walks all over that amp

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

And at 4ohm ur prly have rise to 7-8ohm and making hardly no power

Them hybrids are lame. Shoulda got the American bass ph4000. It walks all over that amp 

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

And at 4ohm ur prly have rise to 7-8ohm and making hardly no power
You seem to be ignorant about what does what.

U seem upset because u have a 4480.1
No not upset, i just dont accept comments from people who have no experience with equipment that they comment on.

If it was junk i wouldnt be using it as for others.

Also just so you know the AB ph4000 only does near 2000 watts and handles .5 ohms great, but the vfl 4480 also has been clamped between 2100-2200 watts and is .5 capable daily.

Want to prove me wrong? If you can i will certainly sell my 4480 and buy the ph4000md.

No not upset, i just dont accept comments from people who have no experience with equipment that they comment on.
If it was junk i wouldnt be using it as for others.

Also just so you know the AB ph4000 only does near 2000 watts and handles .5 ohms great, but the vfl 4480 also has been clamped between 2100-2200 watts and is .5 capable daily.

Want to prove me wrong? If you can i will certainly sell my 4480 and buy the ph4000md.

That's assuming you get one that puts out power at all. Something was seriously wrong with mines out of the box. Bass sounded dirty, weak and overall crap compared to a brutus 1600 and even my 4 channel rear channel bridged sounded better, tried reverse phase, different wiring, RCA to aux to the amp to isolate any possible head unit or RCA problems, plus a lot of other tests, the amp just refused to put out any power unless bass boost was on and gain was high, wired to 1 ohm and it lost to 200 watts of 4 channel bridged. Countlessly swapped amps and it was just narrowed down to the amp not putting out power.

With that being said however, you and audiobaun have no problems with yours and in CACO and SMD, there's people on both sides of the fence with this hybrid amp, some had the same output problems, others have had success. I'm just going to assume there are problems with some of the amps right off the bat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.