Tuning box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

2023 LTZ

CarAudio.com Exclusive
USA
I’ve been hearing a lot about tuning the box or knowing what it’s tuned to. I have a prefabed ported box which specs show it’s tuned to 36hz. Is this set in stone or do the subs I chose make a difference? Can the tune be changed by other means than replacing the ports? I got into a couple yo tubbe vids in which the title was seemingly what I wanted yet some words were missing and I began to believe it was translated from another language but by someone who had no idea wtf they were talking about.
The box is now discontinued by sound ordinance. It’s ports are on the bottom outside corners. 1.75cu/ft each of 2 sides housing 2 12 800w subs being fed 1600+ @ 2ohms.
Will this have remained at 36hz?
I see there’s a lot of math, symbols and I believe that’s more from a design perspective.
Will these subs change the tuning from 36 or is that what they’re at. Would twin 250w shallow subs be at 36hz?
Thanks in advance..

Subs don't change the tuning frequency. The tuning frequency is determined by the volume of the enclosure and size of the port. That said, alot of prefabs are overly optimistic about how low their enclosures are tuned (aka they lie about how low the enclosure it tuned).

prefab specs are normally wrong even if they’re right. A 12 inch prefab enclosure might be 1.75 cubes tuned to 36 HZ with no sub in the box, then you put a sub in the box that takes up .2 cubes, and now the box is 1.55 cubes tuned to 39 HZ. Or they just outright lie about it then hope your ears are bad.

Then this is the advantage of having one built by these ppl mentioned?

It may also be believable that a person can test to find this frequency by using test tones?

If a box was tuned to say 28 including the displacement of the subs does this then deliver the most sq a particular sub is capable of offering providing it’s capable of that?

Is it advantageous to be at the bottom of a sub’s frequency limit in the pursuit of sq?

It may also be believable that a person can test to find this frequency by using test tones?

If a box was tuned to say 28 including the displacement of the subs does this then deliver the most sq a particular sub is capable of offering providing it’s capable of that?

Is it advantageous to be at the bottom of a sub’s frequency limit in the pursuit of sq?
Depends on the subs specs. You can force any sub into SQ with the enclosure, but will it sound as good as a sub with good specs to tune it low in the first place? No. Most subs will play down below human hearing in enclosures tuned 32 HZ and higher anyway. Low tuned enclosures are more for the audio enthusiast who likes to play low test tones and rebased music than for a daily music beater. Imo

SQ is subjective. If you're looking for the flattest possible response curve, usually sealed will give you that in a car. Porting is more efficient and gives you can extra bump in bass response to overcome road noise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

2023 LTZ

CarAudio.com Exclusive
2023 LTZ
USA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views