Tuning frequency help

I have a pair of resilient sound team 18s. With a down4sound jp83. Trunk car, ported box cut through the rear deck. What tuning should I tune it to? I listen to mostly rap. Just looking for a loud daily driver. Appreciate it
As low as you can tune it really. 28-32 HZ range will work well. You really got some banger subs there. I’ve enjoyed the setups I’ve done boxes for using RS subs. The RS team subs can take 5000-7500 RMS per sub. You’re able to fit a box for 2 of these in a trunk?

Don’t know yet. I talked to a guy in my area that does competition. I told him I wanted it cut through the rear deck. Don’t know what he has in mind. I just want it done right the first time. Plus that’s y I’m posting for expert opinions on tuning and box suggestions

I have a 2006 grand Marquis. Never used resilient sounds before. They gave me a big ass discount that I couldn’t pass up. I hope I get a lot of power out of that amp.
Say good bye to your trunk. Just make sure you account for getting the box thru the opening of the trunk before you build it.

Their website indicates the following: Ported enclosure 4.5ft-6.5ft tuned @35hertz with 12-16sqaure inch of port area per cubic foot. That is for a standard ported bass reflex though, 4th order band pass is a whole different beast. If you are using a subsonic filter on your amp, set at at 10-20Hz, you could tune as low as 25 (assuming the subsonic xover is a 12db slope). Fs is right around that point and as a rule, I don’t usually tune lower than the resonate frequency of the driver. If you have the ability to add length to the port, temporarily, you could simply start at say 35Hz, tape on couple of inches and listen. At some point you will decide which is best to your ears. Once you have found what you like, then install the port permanently. the12volt.com has some good calculators that will allow you to determine the frequency the temp extensions are playing at. I would not go much below the resonate frequency though, say 23Hz at the lowest. Many people find that they actually prefer the punch at 35-45Hz as opposed to shear low end. I've run these specs through bass box pro and it indicates (as does the mfg’s site) around 35Hz. Any lower (an extended bass configuration tuned to let’s say 25Hz) and you start getting cone displacement (MM/Hz) power issues and the extended bass frequency comes at the cost of wasted power. I see about a 25% to 50% drop in usable power input levels before distortion kicks in at that frequency, so low end at the cost of higher volume, can’t have both. Keep in mind that in a car, you probably won’t know or be able to actually realize the difference between 25Hz and 35Hz, the sound wave is just too long. People outside will notice it better than you can in the car. ;)

Last edited:
Keep in mind that in a car, you probably won’t know or be able to actually realize the difference between 25Hz and 35Hz, the sound wave is just too long. People outside will notice it better than you can in the car. ;)
I can definitely feel the difference between 35 and 25hz though...

I can definitely feel the difference between 35 and 25hz though...
True, again, there is a cost, a trade off in volume when trying to get that extra low output. So in the end, it comes down to preferences. Less vlume and lower frequency or higher volumes and a slightly higher tuned frequency. Unless you are in a home theater environment, the 10Hz lower tuning, IMHO, is not worth the trade off.

Last edited:
True, again, there is a cost, a trade off in volume when trying to get that extra low output. So in the end, it comes down to preferences. Less vlume and lower frequency or higher volumes and a slightly higher tuned frequency. Unless you are in a home theater environment, the 10Hz lower tuning, IMHO, is not worth the trade off.
The magic happens when the feeling is more intense than the hearing 🥰

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...