Using an SSD in my car. Immediate powerloss when turning off car. Bad idea?

Personally, I'd prefer to use either a flash drive or SD card. I hacked an iPod (using Tarkan's parts) and put an SSD in to it. I had more issues with heat and power consumption than I'd like. Did another one with SD card and have had 0 issues.

SSD's number of write times is no longer a concern, on early ones it sometimes was, but now days you would have to spend 10+ years writing constantly to harm a SSD

Power loss during a read wouldn't corrupt a drive, only during a write. Even during a write, that would only affect the drive if drive caching was enabled, and only for the specific file(s) being wrote to the drive.

I run 3 hard drives in my laptop and can hot swap one of them, just slides right out no problems. But I leave write caching disable

Btw I'm not an expert by any means, just into computers, and I don't think he'll have any issues //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Ive seen power loss during a read corrupt drives.

PS. Im not a computer expert either by any means, just a network engineer for a 100+ million dollar international company with VMWare and Veeam Certs.

If you're just using it as an external drive on a N7, it will /probably/ survive just fine. There's still a risk to it though.

If it's the main drive on a CarPC, i.e. the boot and storage drive, you'll no doubt eventually corrupt it.

If you're just using it as an external drive on a N7, it will /probably/ survive just fine. There's still a risk to it though.
If it's the main drive on a CarPC, i.e. the boot and storage drive, you'll no doubt eventually corrupt it.
It will be just a media drive for the Nexus 7.

What do you think the risks would be?

Would those be lessened by using a delay relay, to power off the USB hub & SSD AFTER the Nexus 7?

It's going to be essentially the same thing as unplugging it from the computer/host without dismounting it first. Some people never bother to dismount before unplugging and never have problems.. Other people do it once and break it.

If you shut down the N7 first, it'll dismount the drive properly and it won't be an issue. But shutting down the N7 every time is going to be annoying. Maybe run a tasker script to dismount the drive and then shut it all off? Or just keep a backup of the drive at home and clone it back on if it does ever give you problems and otherwise not worry about it.

It's going to be essentially the same thing as unplugging it from the computer/host without dismounting it first. Some people never bother to dismount before unplugging and never have problems.. Other people do it once and break it.
If you shut down the N7 first, it'll dismount the drive properly and it won't be an issue. But shutting down the N7 every time is going to be annoying. Maybe run a tasker script to dismount the drive and then shut it all off? Or just keep a backup of the drive at home and clone it back on if it does ever give you problems and otherwise not worry about it.
I'll look into a tasker script but I think the the special ROM i'm using (Timur 2013) is does do an automatic unmount on power loss. I'll have to look a bit more.

Problem is my USB hub is connected directly to 12v IGN and turns off as soon as I turn the car off, where as my DCDC usb takes 1.5 secs or so to turn off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.