What battery do you have under your hood?

porksoda
10+ year member

Dakota GOD!!!
nm
I am wondering what kind of battery you guys are running in your cars?

I currently have a old 8 year old battery in my 1966 Dodge Dart that I badly need to replace.

Also what kind of battery chargers are you all using?

I saw that Advance Auto has Optima Redtops for $189.99 but you can use promo code "VISA" and that will knock off $50. So the Optima Redtop will be knocked down to $139.99.

Wont be bad because I can just pick it up locally so I wont have to worry about shipping. Also if I need it shipped they ship for free because of how much the purchase is.

But I am curious about Optima batteries. Only reason I say that is because I have never ran them before. I hear that the older Optima's were awesome but the newer ones are not so much.

Well thanks for the help!

I forgot to mention that the car sits for long periods of time.

That is why I am kinda leaning toward a AGM/Gel Cell battery.

I dont want to have to jump start the vehicle after sitting for a while.

Thanks everyone!

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

the optima red isnt a deep cycle....
on ebay search shuriken battery
But do I really need a Deep cycle battery under the hood?

I don't have any under my hood.. But I do have 2 9a31's in the trunk. Optima's would be my last choice of battery to run. They cost way to much for what they give you other then a name.

I use 2 redtops,and they have served me well..I really like the info that IMTJNOTU has given..I may consider a change!!!Great pricing as well!

it's weird...... i sometimes hear the fabled legend that someone has had real good luck with optima......... well, i have never seen it first-hand.... just this year, i tossed out 13 red tops, and 3 yellow tops. one almost exploded while charging... the one i used to have set up on my bench power supply...just 3 days ago, another yellow top in a freinds car swollen like a marsh-mellow. generally, yellow and red has never done well in storage, in my experience. that being said, when there is no problems, they do work well....my first yellow top pumped an amazing 2500+ cranking amps after being frozen, then constant amperage charged by the retailer......... i run an x2power under my hood and love it. btw, blue tops seem to not have such problems from what i've seen.

it's weird...... i sometimes hear the fabled legend that someone has had real good luck with optima......... well, i have never seen it first-hand.... just this year, i tossed out 13 red tops, and 3 yellow tops. one almost exploded while charging... the one i used to have set up on my bench power supply...just 3 days ago, another yellow top in a freinds car swollen like a marsh-mellow. generally, yellow and red has never done well in storage, in my experience. that being said, when there is no problems, they do work well....my first yellow top pumped an amazing 2500+ cranking amps after being frozen, then constant amperage charged by the retailer......... i run an x2power under my hood and love it. btw, blue tops seem to not have such problems from what i've seen.
i have a yellow top in the trunk and it does work....i will how ever be upgrading to NSB sometime at the end of this yar

Hasn't been mentioned yet but I run a Kinetik HC1400 under the hood, then agian I dont need tremendous amounts of power I only run about 150 amps to the trunk

I have what came from honda, it ***** because the car sat for a year on the lot and the batt rests at 12.4 I thought about getting a lil xs or fiamm but id have to move the posts and crap

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

porksoda

10+ year member
Dakota GOD!!!
porksoda
nm
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date