what to seal doors with?

If the sheet metal is thin enough to be easily cut with tin snips, Id worry about its rigidity.

I use very thin plywood generally (1/8" iirc). It stiffens the whole door an amazing amount.

Its not super rigid but once you put a layer of deadener on the front and back its not too bad. Doesnt flex anymore than the rest of my door. You can also use a hammer to knock down the tall spots and it will stay put. My door panels didnt have a lot of clearance so this is what I used.

If your talking about lenses for fluorescent lights, do not use it, that stuff gets extremely brittle. Use some sheet metal or some 1/4 board.
if he had two sheets of dynamat to put on both sides it should work fine

Stupid question (I've never bothered to deaden or seal my doors but I'm probably going to when I get new comps) but can't you just use the damplifier over the hole? You're probably going over the door anyway.

jds

i used fiberglass, the holes were very curve so it was easier to tape it off and make some panels then screw them on. I can unscrew them and get into the door if needed

People use wood, some use metal + rivets. I personally suggest going and getting those hard cardboard "For sale" signs and the like, just whatever you can get out of that material, taping it all together with packaging tape, and then put it over the door. That way, if you ever need to get in there, you can just take it off with out having to drill out the rivets.
The bass that your mid range produces shouldn't be enough to flex that cardboard. If it does... kudos.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

sweet, if I can't find one i'll probably just try out that light cover stuff, it was only like $6/sheet
bad idea. that stuff cracks easily.

If your talking about lenses for fluorescent lights, do not use it, that stuff gets extremely brittle. Use some sheet metal or some 1/4 board.
sheet metal would work, I would add deadener to it, though. IMO, a sheet of wood would work even better, but most doors aren't nice and flat.

Here's the doors from my Dodge. One rear door still had some wood exposed to show you guys, so I chose it (even though its wrecked).

P2100257.jpg

P2100258.jpg

And here's the system I never got to hear:

P2100259.jpg

Lastly, I snapped a quick pic of a little of the concrete job in my Blazer doors. People have asked before, so here it is.

P2100261.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.